Old 10-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Combine Mortars

Hi All,

Look here for an interesting commercially built oven under construction. dmun, you'll love this..... YouTube - Artisan Ovens Construction of our wood fired ovens It looks so easy. This guy wasn't too concerned about mortar. LOL

Cheers,
Old 10-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Anyone recognize the bricks being used on that link? The 3 holes really concern me. At around $2000 fo their ovens, I would certainly hope they are not ordinary house bricks.

RT
Old 10-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Did you fill the voids right away? "

Usually the next day.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Journeyman

What is the recommended thickness of the FB mortar? I see people coating the entire outside of the dome with it. Is it less likely to crack than Heat Stop, or the Home brew? What are the real differences between the three? I read lots of people swear by the home brew, is that just because it is cheaper, or just easier to get?
Mike
Old 10-29-2010, 03:22 AM
Laborer

Hi there
I am in New Zealand and are have just started the hearth. I notice that you have a medium under your fire brick. what is it.
Cheers
Kris
Old 10-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriso View Post
I am in New Zealand and have just started the hearth. I notice that you have a medium under your fire brick. what is it.
One of the most important components of the build: Insulation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 10-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Laborer

George
What type of insulation is it. It looks like Hebal? Someone told me you can use this???
Kris
Old 10-30-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
I read lots of people swear by the home brew, is that just because it is cheaper, or just easier to get?
There seems to be a slightly less frequency of cracking with the homebrew mortar. And yes, it is cheaper and easier to get in some places.

I used heat-stop and got lots of cracks, but much of that may be a result of my thin-wall construction.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriso View Post
George
What type of insulation is it. It looks like Hebal? Someone told me you can use this???
Kris
Hi, I'm not sure whose oven you're referring to but on my build I used a 3 inch thick ceramic board.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 10-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Journeyman

Hello Kriso,

Your question about Hebal made me curious about it. They have a website that provides some information about their insulating construction/building products.
Environmental Implications Hearth insulation is generally a low density refractory product. I didn't see anything like that listed in their product guide.

Search Hebal on this forum for some interesting information.

It is easy to make your own insulation from cement and perlite or vermiculite. Many recommend perlite mixed 5 parts to 1 part Portland cement. That is what I recently used for my oven. If you decide to make your own hearth insulation you will want to read the package label and avoid perlite with silicone added. Silicone makes it easy to pour perlite into voids of building blocks but it complicates bonding water and cement to the perlite. Properly done, the mix will harden. Even though you may have your doubts, it will support the weight of a fire brick hearth.

Hebal panel blocks were successfully used for oven construction but it doesn't appear to be suitable for hearth insulation.

Cheers,