Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Clay Mortar

In the lime plaster that I refer to, you should not use ANY portland. Some of the latest research shows that my old rules were wrong. My rule of thumb used to be you could gauge with up to 10% cementious (which would include brick dust or portland) material, but it appears that anything more than 2% is deleterious to the plaster. Mortar is a bit different than plaster/stucco though.

Edit-Googlize "Smeaton Project" for the study. Page 12 of 18 for conclusions.

Last edited by Tscarborough; 01-24-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, it is important to note that when talking about brick dust in this context, that it is not FIREBRICK dust, just normal silicious clay brick.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Yes, it is important to note that when talking about brick dust in this context, that it is not FIREBRICK dust, just normal silicious clay brick.
Are you talking about plastering only or it can be used as mortar for the Dome?
Why not Firebrick Dust?
Firebrick dust here in Greece is called samot or (at free translation) firedirt and is VERY expensive and i don't know the reason...25 kg costs 20 Euro!!!

Last edited by dimitrisbizakis; 01-25-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Because the silica is the hydraulic agent and high alumina firebrick have proportionately less silica. Fire clay is not the same thing as brick dust (and 20 Euros for 25 Kg is cheap).
Old 01-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Because the silica is the hydraulic agent and high alumina firebrick have proportionately less silica. Fire clay is not the same thing as brick dust (and 20 Euros for 25 Kg is cheap).
Fire clay is clay higher in Alumina, i guess.
20 Euros is a day's work here...anyway!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, it is higher in alumina, but it is not fired. You do not need it anyway, at least not that much of it.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
20 Euros is a day's work? Geez things are bad in Greece. I feel for you. We will probably spend more than that buying the meat for our Australia Day BBQ today. Take heart and don't give up, mate. The news and opinions websites say the corner has been turned, and Greece will survive.

ONe point I'd like to make about brick dust and its hydraulic properties. I suggest the mud from a wet saw will probably have already hydrated and won't have much in the way of cementitious properties when you go to use it in a mortar.
(offtopic on)
...it's a day's work IF you have a work....yeah, it's ungly here and the bad thing is that people are loosing their hope, only this year there where 2000 suicides!
Greece will survive(as a Country), for the people i don't know, somehow politics don't care for the people, like the think that a Country is just the building's.
The main reason i build the oven is for to bake the week's bread with few firewood for saving some money for the kids.
Anyway, i hope things will get better.
(offtopic off)
As for the mix i thing i will go with just lime, Cement, sand and the clay i have found from the closed clay brick factory.
I'll make some test's with 2 bricks joined and placing them in my firestove to see the results before i make the final dome.
My love to Australia, lot's of our people have been helped there.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You don't really need to test it it, will work fine. Remember that mortar is not used to hold bricks together, it is used to hold them apart.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:26 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
You don't really need to test it it, will work fine. Remember that mortar is not used to hold bricks together, it is used to hold them apart.
It's realy nice to hear THAT point of view!
Does make any difference that i don't tamper cut the bricks, even on the top of the dome?
Old 01-26-2013, 04:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
That's right you don't need perfectly tapered bricks to achieve a perfectly strong and working dome. Just looks better that's all. You'll find that the top of the oven will require 1/4 bricks instead of 1/2s due to the tighter curve
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.