Old 05-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Serf

Default Re: Ceramic insulation cloth

I finished the ceramic blanket covering today and covered it with chicken wire, but the surface is so irregular, with many gaps between the wire and blanket, that I can't imagine that the stucco will stick sufficiently well to yield a smooth surface. What would you think of a layer of vermiculite and portland cement as a base for two layers of colored stucco? I assume that the concrete will fall behind the wire and harden there, thus filling the gaps.

Thanks.

irv
Old 05-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Ceramic insulation cloth

You waht a gap between the chicken wire and your blanket equal to the amount of vermicrete you're planning for. Vermiculite/concrete will not stay put outside this lattice. If you need two inches of vermicrete, leave a two inch gap between the chicken wire and the blanket.

Stucco sticks nicely to that vermicrete layer without additional help - right at the vermicrete/chicken wire interface. Smash into place. It sticks well.

-