Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/)
-   -   cast in place with home-brew ?? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/cast-place-home-brew-17256.html)

robertjusher 01-18-2012 10:57 PM

cast in place with home-brew ??

HI All
can the standard home brew , sand, cement, lime and fireclay mix be used for a cast in place dome.
I priced refractroy by the bag and nearly fell over when I worked out how many bags I will need?
Has anyone done a cast oven with home-brew refractoy mix?

Thanks
Rob

robertjusher 01-19-2012 04:50 AM

Re: cast in place with home-brew ??

HI and thanks for the reply. I have seen that thread but it kinda old and I tried to PM the guy a while back,,, must not come here to often.
I am thinking of going similar but no welded rebar. Maybe ss needles or similar if I can find them.
Just seeing if anyone else has tried the method..
Thanks
ROb

Johnny the oven man 01-24-2012 08:57 PM

Try TOTAL REFRACTORY MANAGEMENT for your s/s needles, or I can send some from Melbourne.

robertjusher 01-24-2012 10:34 PM

HI
I spoke with a very helpful guy from total refractory management today. Got some good advice but I was warned off going with a fireclay based homebrew.
He was I guess trying to sell me premix stuff at $40 a bag and at 25kg a lot of bags would be required..
Be cheaper to go firebrick , Bunnings kit or go back to plan A and have a go at a homebrew mortar and hope for the best.
The more I read and talk to people the more confusing this is...
Any thoughts?
ROb

brickie in oz 01-24-2012 10:58 PM

The portland cement you will use in your home brew will last about 5 minutes with a full on pizza temperature fire on its face, I hope you like grit in ya pizza. :D

There is a reason they sell refractory concrete at the price they do. :)

robertjusher 01-24-2012 11:04 PM

OK I was unaware the cement would fail if part of the mix.
This is getting deeper then I first thought, So much odd (bad) advice freely available out there...
Really wanted to avoid brick work but really looks like the best way to go, or just build that kit from bunnings.
More thought and reading required.
I have time the weather has put a stop to getting my stand rendered for a bit longer...
Rob

david s 01-24-2012 11:42 PM

Don't be too put off, this method works. The Portland in the homebrew may fail where it receives intense heat on the inside, but that's where the lime takes over. Lots of builders have used the homebrew as mortar and I don't think anyone has reported that it has failed and bits have fallen out. As you are using the same brew you should be OK. But, there is no telling how long it will last. My guess is that it will be quite OK for at least 5 years maybe more.The homebrew is not as strong as a calcium aluminate castable.

brickie in oz 01-24-2012 11:52 PM

Build it with home brew and report back. :)

brickie in oz 01-24-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david s (Post 126238)
Lots of builders have used the homebrew as mortar and I don't think anyone has reported that it has failed and bits have fallen out.

But you are talking thin joints of 5mm or less, thats a bit different to the whole dome being home brew dont you think? :confused:

david s 01-25-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickie in oz (Post 126240)
But you are talking thin joints of 5mm or less, thats a bit different to the whole dome being home brew dont you think? :confused:

Yes it is, but it works. I advised a guy to try this method (unreinforced) two years ago and his oven is still working well. I don't know that he uses it all that often, but it does work. The biggest problem is eliminating the water and the risk of blowing, that's why it is important to add fibres that can burn out.