Old 09-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Canada - Hard Time Getting Material?

Well, I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking about the search function? You'd better ask the moderators.

You might try sending a PM to individuals. Sometimes it takes a while to notice them but it usually works, eventually. Alternatively, you can ask me or somebody else in a thread. I don't mind if I already answered a question - I can just link to a reply. Of course, I am not an expert as some of these folk, but I did complete an oven.

With regard to materials, there are a few things you can do. You can probably source most of the materials a lot closer than you thing. The tricky stuff to find is the insulating board, which can be shipped, worst case. Besides, I am pretty sure thousands of ovens have been built in Italy that didn't use a fancy engineered ceramic material.

The most expensive things to ship would be the bricks and mortar I bet you can find them relatively local.

Lets start all over.

1) Exactly where are you located (city or town)

2) What stage are you in your build?

3) What have you located and what are you still looking for?

Last edited by Mingy; 09-15-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Peasant

1) I am located in Windsor, Ontario.

2) Haven't started yet... Collecting stuff to begin.

3) I have located refractory bricks @ 1.98 each at Patene Building supply. But, I am looking for a better price. That is why I am asking others what they have found.

Thank you so much for any information you can give me!!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Laborer

The good thing with Windsor is you are spitting distance from whats left of Detroit. Also, Windsor is a big enough city that you are bound to find some other choices. Have you talked to any bricklayers? They often repair chimneys and wood ovens and they should know good sources of supply. You might look up refractory construction services on Google I found a guy not far away who built commercial boilers, ovens, etc., and he was happy to let me buy stuff from him (though I ended up with Alphatherm). Finally you could look up pottery suppliers. A search of Refractory Supplies or Refractory Services Detoit or Windsor should do it.

One thing with bricks is there are different qualities. So I got most all of mine from Alphatherm but I bought some from a local building supply place (Hamilton Builders Supply) and you could tell there was a significant difference in quality. I don't recall the prices (I'll see if I can find them) or the name of the manufacturer. I'll take a look at the few spare bricks I have in the morning.

The mortar is very important as well. The stuff is expensive as hell ($90 per bag). I used the dry mix because I figure that anything which comes liquid could turn liquid again if it gets wet if it rains before you get the roof up. The dry stuff set up really fast which is good and bad: it means you can put more bricks without waiting too long, however, you have to make it in small batches (a couple liter at a time) or you'll throw a lot out.

The insulation board and ceramic wool is the hardest thing to find, but you can probably get it shipped for not too much money because its not that heavy. Again, I got mine from Alphatherm but I discovered a local pottery place could get it for me. I wrapped the wool around the dome with chicken wire to keep it in place then applied insulating concrete (which I think you can make with mortar and vermiculite) Vermiculite is easy to get (Pantene should have it) and, for good measure, I wrapped the dome in rock wool insulation from Home Depot.

I'll try find my Alphatherm receipts and post tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Laborer

OK I got
6 bags castable insulating mortar @ $40
250 Alsey Refractory Bricks (100 straights, 75 #1 arch, 75 #2 arch) @ $2.75
5 bags refractory mortar @$90
KFAC Insulating board $125
50 sq ft 1" insulating blanket $137.50
1 bag fireclay 50 lbs $17.84.

Total $1,870

I don't think Alphatherm is the cheapest but they do carry real high quality stuff (like I said there was a big difference in the firebrick.

You might call up Alsey (Firebrick, Fireplace Mortar, Refractory Castable and Firebrick Stain and High Duty Refractory Supplies.) and ask them if they have a local distributor.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Peasant

Thank you so much for the information. It will be of immense help!!
Old 03-31-2013, 02:00 PM
Serf

Jimney, I'm also in Windsor and thinking about building an oven, how did you make out with your material search?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Peasant

Patene has the bricks for $2@, mortar at menards in the states for $55 a bag. Hope this helps? Let me know what you've found!

Last edited by Jimney; 04-02-2013 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-02-2013, 04:36 AM
Peasant

By the way I figured out the search thing. I wasn't signed in.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:48 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingy View Post
OK I got
6 bags castable insulating mortar @ $40
250 Alsey Refractory Bricks (100 straights, 75 #1 arch, 75 #2 arch) @ $2.75
5 bags refractory mortar @$90
KFAC Insulating board $125
50 sq ft 1" insulating blanket $137.50
1 bag fireclay 50 lbs $17.84.

Total $1,870

I don't think Alphatherm is the cheapest but they do carry real high quality stuff (like I said there was a big difference in the firebrick.

You might call up Alsey (Firebrick, Fireplace Mortar, Refractory Castable and Firebrick Stain and High Duty Refractory Supplies.) and ask them if they have a local distributor.
How big is your oven?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Serf

Great thread...thx. I'm north of Edmonton ab. Hard time finding fire brick period. Going to Rona next......