Old 06-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Brick Oven photos 6/08

Holy crap, how do you have time for anything else? You must be cooking or smoking something 24 hrs a day, with all of those gadgets.
I'm printing this thread.......this will be exhibits "A" thru "Z" in my defense, the next time I go before the judge concerning a project, kitchen gadget, or outdoor cooker...................your the man!

RT
Old 07-01-2008, 04:15 AM
Master Builder

JB, your smoker sounds interesting....maybe a few more shots of it and some details about how it works?? Is there an indirect firebox?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Laborer

RT,
Yea, I guess I am obsessed with outdoor cooking!
No question though, the brick oven cooking will be a brand new experience for me. Looking forward to it. But i still have to get the oven completed.
Attaching a few more pics since they took the framing lumber down.
I am really worried about the contractor working on top of that verm/concrete layer to build the oven. As you can see from the photos it is very, very unstable and crumbles off way too easily. I will need to figure out how to cover that front ledge that I keep mentioning on other sites. That 4" layer simply won't last long at all exposed.

James,
Also attaching a few more photos of the big smoker. Yes, there is an indirect firebox underneath a 1/4" piece of steel. The steel stops short of the end where the heat and smoke travels up and back over the meat and then out the chimney in front. The metal lid is 1/2 of a 250 gal drum.
The walls of that smoker are lined with very heavy industrial sized firebricks. And yes, that job is one I did myself when I was younger. But contract out these days!!
Jim Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Brick Oven photos 6/08-dsc00474.jpg   Brick Oven photos 6/08-dsc00475.jpg   Brick Oven photos 6/08-dsc00479.jpg   Brick Oven photos 6/08-dsc00480.jpg   Brick Oven photos 6/08-dsc00476.jpg  

Old 07-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I do see your concerns on that vermiculite layer. What is your enclosure going to be? Igloo or a house of some sort. I had similar questions about how to connect my house type walls to the vermiculite layer (I ended up with jbolts set into the structural layer and up through the vermiculite layer during the pour). My vermiculite layer extends all the way to the front of my hearth as well, but I ended up covering it with a decorative stone, so any hold (or chips of the corner) were filled with mortar and then the stone was attached. What are your plans for the finish?
Old 07-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Laborer

Drake,
I am planning on a walled enclosure of solid brick except for the cantilevered edge in front. I like the idea of putting some small ceramic tiles or decorative stones on the front edge and filling in holes or chips with the mortar. Not sure what a Jbolt is but I wasn't smart enough to know to do that ahead of time.
What really worries me is the vermiculite layer crumbling off easily now by just lightly running my fingers over it and my brick mason hasn't even started laying firebricks yet!! It could be a real mess on the edges before he is done.
I appreciate the help though. Will take more pics as he progresses tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed!!
Jim Bob
Old 07-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Serf

Jim Bob,
I've found that a 2 stoke fire will heat the oven to 500 degrees. Just right for breads. Or you can pre-heat the day before and get away with a 2 hour stoke.
ORB II
Old 07-02-2008, 03:59 AM
Master Builder

Jim Bob

I wouldn't sweat the vermiculite layer too much. some minor chipping is normal. And that insulation damage is a long way from the oven!

If you're really worried, I would have the mason stucco the edges to protect them or put back your wood forms. Either approach should help keep it together. It's probably a little stronger every day too!

Good luck, Jim

Nice smoker!

I'm a preheater by hte way....I like to start the soaking the day before....
Old 07-02-2008, 04:00 AM
Master Builder

Leaving your form on the vermiculite layer would be another good addition to the plans in my book! Why take it off until you need to?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:46 AM
Laborer

Jim,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I think you are correct about the forms. I was just anxious to see what it was going to look like and had them removed! The other thing I think needs to be in the specs is a couple of alternatives to covering the very ragged looking front edge with either decorative stone, ceramic tile, additional concrete layer, or possibly brick if it can be supported. All this especially if there is a cantilevered edge that will stick out.
I am planning to have a walled brick enclosure over the oven.
One more question, how did you or should you attach the insulfrax to the oven? I think the specs called for metal straps, but can the average homeowner obtain these straps and the equipment to tighten it down?
Thanks again,
Jim Bob
Old 07-02-2008, 04:57 AM
Laborer

Jim,
Just a thought-
One other idea that Drake mentioned above to include in the specs: If you are planning a walled enclosure, it is recommended that you install Jbolts directly in the slab as it is being poured to anchor the walled structure above later. Of course they may be a pain in the butt while you are working on the oven itself. Don't want anyone impaling themselves on the bolts. I obviously did not do this on my slab, but will solve that problem later when I come to it.
Jim Bob