Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/)
-   -   Big Green Egg vs. Wood fired oven (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/big-green-egg-vs-wood-fired-6517.html)

achilles007 04-08-2009 06:47 PM

Big Green Egg vs. Wood fired oven

Hello, all.

I have been racking my brains over tis current issue. hopefully some of you guys can help me.

I am... no, scratch that... WAS looking for a grill that could fulfill my needs-- my needs WERE.

A) That it could get up to 800 degrees plus in order for me to sear steaks perfectly and bake bread, pizza, bagels-- etc.

If I make a wood-fired oven and want to put a cast iron grill in it-- will that impede wit the temperature? I would like to sear at 700 degrees-- i was wondering if this was possible with the WFO like it is with the BGE

achilles007 04-08-2009 06:48 PM

Re: Big Green Egg vs. Wood fired oven

Oops!!! wrong thread. moderator do you mind moving this to the newcomer/beginner forums?

james 04-08-2009 08:49 PM

Done!
James

Xabia Jim 04-08-2009 10:58 PM

I would think you can sear at 700 degrees in the wfo if that's what you want. I have not used the BGE but would think they are two different beasts.

pwcoppard 04-09-2009 05:36 AM

I have a wood-fired oven, and my neighbour has a big green egg. We use a small Tuscan (Cast-iron) grill inside, it is about 4 inches high. i will bank the fire to the side, and rake some coals underneath. this allows us to grill at about 650. it is fabulous. Steaks have never tasted so good.

The BGE is better at low temperatures, and uses less fuel, but it is nowhere near as cool.

I would go for the oven.

Frances 04-09-2009 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwcoppard (Post 53569)
I would go for the oven.

...and if you want to hear any differing opinion, you'd better go look on a BGE forum... ;)

Ken524 04-09-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frances (Post 53572)
...and if you want to hear any differing opinion, you'd better go look on a BGE forum... ;)

THAT was funny Frances.

BGE's are really pricey. I have a Pompeii pizza oven, a gas grill for quick dinners and a low budget Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. I think it's the perfect combination for outdoor cookery. In fact, I'm going to smoke a pork shoulder and a couple of chickens Easter morning!

70chevelle 04-10-2009 12:29 PM

I've got a large BGE and a Wood Fired Oven. You can "smoke" in a WFO, but it won't be as good as the BGE. You can cook pizza and bake bread on a BGE, it will be good, but it won't be as effective or efficient as a WFO. They both have a variety of uses, but they are best at their specialties. Help out the economy, buy a BGE and build your WFO.

Ken524 04-10-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70chevelle (Post 53637)
Help out the economy, buy a BGE and build your WFO.

There you go! Those Eggs look pretty cool.

james 04-10-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70chevelle (Post 53637)
Help out the economy, buy a BGE and build your WFO.

That's right. Everybody has to do their part!
James