Old 04-11-2009, 04:03 AM
Serf

Default Re: Big Green Egg vs. Wood fired oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevelle View Post
Help out the economy, buy a BGE and build your WFO.
I agree! I have two BGEs (had to have the small to tailgate at NCSU football games) and am about to build a brick oven. As has been said before, each has its use so it would seem good to have both.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am late getting into this because I was in England last week but...

I would rather cook a steak on my Tuscan Grill in my WFO than on any grill I have ever experienced. And...while 750 is probably a fine temperature, I think I do mine closer to 950 to 1100. I use fresh coals and strive to have a fire IN the oven (pizza style) so the top is really hot.

I have nothing against BGEs and I understand they are very nice grills/smokers, but...I will take my approach.

Good Luck!
Jay
Old 04-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sourdough,

I received a Tuscan Grill as a gift and haven't tried it yet. We want to do steaks with it. It appears to be unseasoned cast-iron. Do I need to season it? Is it ready to cook with? I thought about seasoning, but it seems like 800+ degrees would obliterate any seasoning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Serf

THIS is perfect, guys! thanks.

So a good smoker to smoke, and the WFO basically does everything else. Perfect guys! thanks!
Old 04-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Serf

Now if only there was a way to speed up the heating process. lol
Old 04-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles007 View Post
Now if only there was a way to speed up the heating process.
That's part of the fun! Make it a social gathering event

Updated!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Sourdough,

I received a Tuscan Grill as a gift and haven't tried it yet. We want to do steaks with it. It appears to be unseasoned cast-iron. Do I need to season it? Is it ready to cook with? I thought about seasoning, but it seems like 800+ degrees would obliterate any seasoning.
We still season our cast iron grill. We use canola oil, grape seed oil or shortening. just brush it on, bake the heck out of it, and let it cool down before you use it. If rust shows up, then we clean it, season it again and we are good to go.

Like a cast-iron pan, don't clean with soap. Just brush it off, or burn it off.

Good luck.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks pwcoppard!

Updated!