Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/)
-   -   A base on a slab that is not level- how to? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/base-slab-not-level-how-18528.html)

chickade 10-19-2012 03:46 PM

A base on a slab that is not level- how to?

I managed to get a slab completed, but since I am utterly new to this kind of work, it is far from level. It slopes down from the front to the back, and the back is at least 6 inches lower than the front. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the base level? Thank you.

david s 10-19-2012 05:47 PM

Re: A base on a slab that is not level- how to?

If it were mine I would be resetting the form work ensuring that it is level and then pouring more concrete on top. 6" is a long way out of level. You probably don't need to add reinforcing to this new layer. It is also a good idea to hump this new slab about 1/4" higher in the middle, sloping down to the outsides so water will not be encouraged to sit under the vermicrete layer, should it penetrate after a deluge of rain.

jim81147 10-19-2012 06:29 PM

I would have to agree with David I think . There are other ways to accomplish a level base , but a repour would be the easiest fix and take the least amount of know how.

chickade 10-19-2012 07:52 PM

Thanks! I was thinking of doing that, but I talked to someone who implied I can't put another layer on the base because I didn't make it rough while it was curing. Should I prepare the base in any way before adding the new layer?

david s 10-19-2012 08:32 PM

I wouldn't bother the sheer weight will hold everything in place, but there are products you can use to help bond the next layer on. Bondcrete is one that is used for this purpose in Australia, don't know if you have that there.

mrchipster 10-19-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david s (Post 140757)
I wouldn't bother the sheer weight will hold everything in place, but there are products you can use to help bond the next layer on. Bondcrete is one that is used for this purpose in Australia, don't know if you have that there.

Yes there are many similar bonding products, available at any building supply store HD, LOWES, Menards etc. I would recommend adding enough new material to have a minimum of 2 inches of thickness at the thinnest addition, and use a concrete mix and not a sand mix.

Tscar do you want to chime in on this it is your expertise.

Chip

chickade 10-20-2012 01:13 AM

How should I build the form so that one end is higher than the other?

brickie in oz 10-20-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickade (Post 140786)
How should I build the form so that one end is higher than the other?

You need a spirit level. :)

david s 10-20-2012 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrchipster (Post 140760)
Yes there are many similar bonding products, available at any building supply store HD, LOWES, Menards etc. I would recommend adding enough new material to have a minimum of 2 inches of thickness at the thinnest addition, and use a concrete mix and not a sand mix.

Tscar do you want to chime in on this it is your expertise.

Chip

That means one end will be 8" thick!
This thing could double as a bonb bunker.

chickade 10-20-2012 08:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a level and it appears that the back is 3 1/2 inches lower than the front, so I'm making a form out of 2 x 4s. I will build up concrete at the back and try to level it off by hand toward the front. I will draw lines along the side 2 x 4s that are level to the back so that I have a guide, and then I will attempt to add more concrete in the center of the form so that water runs off. How does that sound?