Old 02-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Barrell vs Dome Design

Hi Paul,

I'm back in the saddle.

There are some real safety issues using gas in a small, enclosed space. Unlike a grill or fireplace, where a slow gas leak has somewhere to go, a leak in a pizza oven could ignite and the effect would be like a small bomb. So while you can add a gas burner, FB doesn't recommend it for home owners or offer any advice on how to do it. Sorry to be a stick-in-the-mud on this.

I know that builders have done it, so it might be a good idea to start a new thread on the topic and see what other builders have done.

For commercial use, the Modena ovens have a sophisticated burner that is made in Italy specifically for commercial pizza ovens. It's expensive, electronically controlled and has an automatic, rapid shut-off.

Sorry again I'm not more helpful on this one.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:53 AM
Serf

Has any one have an airflow graph showing the cold air in and hot air out circulation in both barrel and dome shaped ovens?

Regards
Fred
Old 05-18-2007, 09:35 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

There are some graphics on how a brick oven works here, but nothing specific to round/dome vs rectangle/barrel vault. I might take a stab at that -- it would be a good way of representing how the fire works. Nice idea.

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizza_oven...operation.html

Old 05-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Serf

It would be interesting as I feel the flow of hot air is one of the main differences

I have been toying with an idea of an oven Barrel shaped and tapered at the end with a wide opening

That way you can use it as a bread oven and fire place

Now for the tricky bit, the front opening making a mould that fits in the opening and reduces the size of the opening but is also shaped to end up making the inside of the oven dome shape
I have made plenty of moulds of different things in the past so that’s not a problem
It would be made from refractory cement and filled with light weight insulation

I know it won’t hold the heat as well a pizza oven but it will be better than an ordinary oven and you also have a fireplace at the end
Food for thought anyway

Regards
Fred
Old 05-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm far from an expert, but it seams that there is a fear of building a 'pizza oven', and it won't retain heat or even heat between dome and walls for baking. I've never been much of a baker, so this was not a concern of mine, but, for those concerned here is what I know:

I built a 36" pompei
Insulate, insulate, insulate.....24 hrs after reaching pizza temps (900 dome, 750+ hearth) and making several pizzas my hearth temp is still 250-260, walls 275-285, and the dome 300-310.
after the fires die down I leave the coals in the oven - pushed to one side or the rear and put my uninsulated steel door in place.
Even removing the coals entirely and leaving the door off still gives me these temps 10-12 hrs after the fire. I attribute this to the insulation - I used 2" of ceramic blanket then 3" of perlite concrete. virtually no heat transfers through my dome.
I'm considering making an insulated door, not so much because I need it - I just want to see how much heat I can retain under optimal conditions. I've sort of become obsessed with seeing just what I can do with this thing....whether I need it to or not...its my latest toy.

Not sure if this is helpfull

RT
Old 05-19-2007, 12:39 AM
Serf

The way that I see it is if both ovens are well insulated the only difference is the that the barrel allows more heat out the door
Especially as the heat would bounce of the rear wall and straight for the door
Now by being able to deflect the heat down to the floor as the dome does is what makes the difference between the two

Regards
Fred
Old 05-19-2007, 12:45 AM
Serf

RT
That’s how we improve
It doesn’t matter whether we need to or not
Also that’s halve the fun
I also am not a baker my main reason for the oven is to entertain

Regards
Fred
Old 05-19-2007, 01:45 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hi Fred,
Aren't hobbies great. They keep your mind active -- as we all get older. :-)

As you are looking to entertain and make pizza, roast, bake bread, etc. I would highly recommend the round dome. They are a lot more fun to cook in, and they work better for weekend/evening cooking. There is no problem with bread -- Mike teaches bread baking classes in Seattle in two Casa ovens.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:47 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Fred,

I've made a couple a drawings that capture my experience try to do fire-in-the-oven cooking in a rectangular barrel vault oven. One problems using an oven that is deeper than it is wide is that there is nowhere convenient to put the fire. Also, the barrel shape doesn't circulate the hot air evenly. If you put the fire on the side, you end up with a one-pizza at a time oven, and much of the oven isn't useable. If you put the fire in the back, the front of the oven doesn't get any heat.

Everybody, let me know if the drawings make sense, or how we could improve them. After we get a few comments, I will permanently post them in a findable place.

Also, this is not an issue for retained heat baking -- such as the way Jim uses his oven at his bakery.
Attached Thumbnails
Barrell vs Dome Design-hearth_1.jpg   Barrell vs Dome Design-hearth_2.jpg  

Last edited by james; 05-22-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post

<snip>Also, the dome shape doesn't circulate the hot air evenly.<snip>
Makes perfect sense, especially when looking at your diagrams.

And I think that you meant that the barrel shaped oven doesn't circulate evenly.

J W