Old 08-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Ballpark cost for a 42" Pompei type oven?

If you find a contractor willing to give you a breakdown of labor and materials, don't hire him, because he is an amateur and a moron. Quite frankly, it is none of your business. I do not ask for a material and labor breakdown at McDonalds, the Dentist, or at the Ford dealership. It is irrelevant to the task at hand.

If you want someone to build you an oven, and want a fair and accurate price, then you need to develop plans and specifications for the oven complete enough for him to give an accurate total cost, period.

The FB plans are fine for the base and internals, but you will have to develop plan and elevation drawings and material specifications for exactly what you want for a finished oven.

Sorry for the rant, but it is near and dear to my avocation.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Master Builder

You can build it stages, as funds become available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 08-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
If you find a contractor willing to give you a breakdown of labor and materials, don't hire him, because he is an amateur and a moron. Quite frankly, it is none of your business. I do not ask for a material and labor breakdown at McDonalds, the Dentist, or at the Ford dealership. It is irrelevant to the task at hand.

If you want someone to build you an oven, and want a fair and accurate price, then you need to develop plans and specifications for the oven complete enough for him to give an accurate total cost, period.

The FB plans are fine for the base and internals, but you will have to develop plan and elevation drawings and material specifications for exactly what you want for a finished oven.

Sorry for the rant, but it is near and dear to my avocation.
Your post is offensive and irrelevant. Please do not reply to my messages.

Cro
Old 08-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Journeyman

Sounds like you are on the right track with someone who at least has some background in what you want to do vs. just some guy who talks a good game. But yea, that's a lot of $$. Good friends, beer and the promise of pizza in exchange for the foundation work...? That is really half the labor right there.
Honestly for that price, I would buy a modular oven and a steel base, get cookin and worry about the rest as the money was available.
I think it would be fair to say most of us chose to build a pompeii vs. buy a prefab either because it was the cheaper option or because we like DIY or both. In your case, with both of those factors negated, the prefabs are awfully tempting.

tscarborough, yikes. How is it none of the consumers business or irrelevant to know what they are paying for? Every construction job is bid on time and materials, period. If you were given a spec for this project (as you rightly say is necessary for accurate costing) you would do the same. What is the issue with disclosing those facts to the client, exactly? Having an oven built is not like buying a Rothko.
Perhaps if there were more transparency in the construction industry as a matter of course...meaning if the consumer was always wise enough to insist on it as they should, it would discourage the abundance of morons you mention from screwing it up for the good, smart, honest guys.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am sorry, but I have been in construction for 30 years, commercial and residential. Unless you are paying someone on a time and materials basis, the job is bid at a price, no details given or required as to cost breakdown. It is irrelevant. You either accept the bid price or not. "Contractors" that are willing to give a breakdown are not professionals.

Sorry, CroMagnon for replying to your post, I will refrain in the future.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroMagnon View Post
I recieved this quote from a masonry landscaper. $8,450. Is this a reasonable number for the scope of work?
This would include prepping and pouring the footing, building up the block base using either a 6 or 8 by 16 anchoring to the footing, pouring that, forming up the floor of the oven and pouring that, laying a firebrick floor, building up the dome of 46 interior oven, doing 2 to 3 layers of lightcrete or high heat material, building up the tunnel and installing flue liners or something similar, facing all sides of the base with a standard red brick, applying stucco to the dome and striking all joints.

Included is all material, delivery, disposal and labor.

Thanks,
Cro
Like dmun said it looks like the insulation is missing from this quote.

In my opinion that is CHEAP!! That quote would only cover my labor cost for a 46 inch oven, just for comparisons sake.

Also from a construction perspective. A good clay brick has a higher compressive strength than CMU. It would be wise of the mason to just lay up a double brick wall (that way the interior of your oven base looks good too) and fill it with concrete and rebar. It would save him time and materials instead of veneering CMU block.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Serf

Thanks Nic. I was hoping that you or someone that bids these jobs would post. What is CMU?

I don't care for the look of the prefabbed ones so It looks like I'll have to save more money or figure out a way to do it myself.

tscarborough, Sorry if I came on a bit strong there, but when I read your post it annoyed me. I didn't think my guy had given me a time and materials breakdown, just a list of what I'd get for the price he quoted. Phrases like "irrelevant" and "none of your business" are likely to get that response. After your post I followed the link in your message and you have a beautiful oven and make some killer bread.

Cheers,
Cro
Old 08-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Apprentice

CMU is Concrete Masonry Unit a.k.a. the "base blocks," cinder blocks, concrete block, it has a lot of pet names by many people. I go with cmu when I'm typing because it is a nice text shortcut.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Peasant

Hey,
I think the price is in the ball park based on my own estimating and building experience, (20 years landscaping, always itemised labour/materials, plus%).

A key cost that can vary is the detail in the dome building. Will the bricks be tapered for a tight fit? Do you have plans for this oven, or has the contractor offered any?

I would ask to see 1 or 2 of the ovens this person has built, and get some customer references.

Also, does the work include the curing process, and other follow up work, and any warranty?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Serf

I have found an Italian crafstman. I'm going to fly him out from Rome, $1000, pay him $2000 and with $1500 in materials get an true Italain wood fired oven for $4500. Just kidding. All good suggestions/questions Andrew. I don't know the answer, what does it mean to "taper the bricks"? the plans I have are the Forno Bravo plans. He hasn't offered any. He did send me a photo of an oven he'd built. It looked very good.

In any case I am likely to try and be my own Italian craftsman.

Thanks,
Cro