Old 04-19-2010, 01:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: aussiepizzaan getting started on 36" wfo

Hi Gary,
Littlehampton Bricks in the Adelaide hills

Littlehampton Clay Bricks and Pavers - Littlehampton South Australia - Character in Clay - Clay Bricks - clay pavers - manufacture and supply - how to lay pavers - paving DIY

sell a lot of their 1200˚C fired solid 4" clay pavers for oven builds, many more than their 'fire bricks'.
Check out the supplier of your intended bricks for the dome for their firing temperature, even get a brick on a hard surface and smash it once with a slrdge hammer. If it crumbles into small particles and dust, DON'T use them! If they only break into a few larger pieces, then they will be fine.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Peasant

Default Re: aussiepizzaan getting started on 36" wfo

thanks for the info Neill ,
so what your saying is that any clay paver or brick that has been fired over the 1200*c and mets the sledge hammer test would be suitable ?
checked out Littlehampton , but distance a problem.

regards Gary
Old 04-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Peasant

thanks Raffy,
I thought it would be good practice for later on when i do thr oven arches.

regards Gary
Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Peasant

hi all ,
time for an update on my build.weather has slowed me up but did manage to get the hearth framed and poured.see attached photos.
The concrete hearth ended up 120 ml (4 3/4 inch ) I will put 2 inch fire board
under floor for insulation

question?
what is every ones take on the oven floor? is it better to use fire bricks 75ml thick or the fire pavers 50ml thick but with less joins in the floor .

regards gary
Attached Thumbnails
aussiepizzaan getting started on 36" wfo-000_0173.jpg   aussiepizzaan getting started on 36" wfo-000_0174.jpg   aussiepizzaan getting started on 36" wfo-000_0175.jpg   aussiepizzaan getting started on 36" wfo-000_0176.jpg   aussiepizzaan getting started on 36" wfo-000_0177.jpg  

Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Apprentice

gday aussieman lookin good!
I decided to just use the fire brick pavers and they seem to do the job perfectly.I think The only reason to use others is for the look.Also might take you a bit more time to cut them as well. here is a pic of mine hope it helps.
By the way got a nice piece of beef slow roasting in the oven as we speak, with an african spicy sauce it was marinated in overnight. The backyard smells great.
cheers
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
aussiepizzaan getting started on 36" wfo-dscn2421.jpg  
Old 04-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Peasant

Thanks Dave
how do the pavers being thinner go for heating up retaing heat.
by the way I can smell that roast from here!!!!!

regards
Gary
Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 AM
Apprentice

Aussie they heat up just fine and retain heat pretty well as far as I can tell.
After using the oven and the door put on, the next morning the tiles are still very hot to touch! I used 2 sheets of silica insulating board underneath them and didnt mortar them in place. They seem to expand and contract a fair bit with the heat. Also If I crack one with a pot or something, easy to replace.
Got to go get that meat out of the oven cheers,
Dave
Old 04-28-2010, 12:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiepizzaman View Post
I will put 2 inch fire board
under floor for insulation
Shouldnt that have gone under the concrete to form a larger heat mass?

Old 04-28-2010, 01:34 AM
Apprentice

Maybe that could have made a difference , but I think these things are over engineered as they are and I have a great working oven , and the heat doesnt make its way through the floor, so I am happy but I guess you are right, I never thought of doing it.Family just ate a side of beef that has been slow roasting for 6 hours. All the hours laying bricks was worth it for that meal! how does it not dry out? it just fell apart with a nice crispy outer surface. Did everything in my power to stop the vulcha's eating it before it was plated.
Happy cooking,
Dave
Old 05-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Peasant

Hi Dave,
sounds like you have got your hands full keeping up all that good tucker.

I started to layout the floor and soldier course today.took longer than I thought to lay out the floor but got there in the end.
brick saw has been a great investment , made cutting the floor and soldier course a breeze.

see attached photo's

question , when I collect the fire clay do you store it wet or let it dry out ?

i am going to use home brew morter,just to make sure I have the mixture right is it 1 part fire clay, 1 part cement,1 part lime, 4 parts sand.

regards Gary
Attached Thumbnails
aussiepizzaan getting started on 36" wfo-000_0180-1-.jpg   aussiepizzaan getting started on 36" wfo-000_0181-1-.jpg   aussiepizzaan getting started on 36" wfo-000_0182-1-.jpg   aussiepizzaan getting started on 36" wfo-000_0183-1-.jpg   aussiepizzaan getting started on 36" wfo-000_0184-1-.jpg