Old 02-16-2008, 03:10 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Aussie Readers

Frances.
I see that your transition to Associate Luddite has been seamless. I'm so proud of you.
Respectfully,
Luddite Jeff.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:14 AM
Journeyman

Cia.Oh.
I'm with Frances, eh.
Ahem; apart from photographic evidence re scars, I tell ya. (Sounds like Guantanamo Bay to me). She's a fine'n fiesty Sheila, Cia.o, but tread carefully.

Mate, I'm a bit of a goose, but if you get stuck feel free to chuck me a curly, eh. I reckon you mexicans would have enough blokes to kick off your own group, eh.
Good building talisker63.
Evonne.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:30 AM
Laborer

OK - check out my piccy's. Made pizza on Saturday night, only burnt one pizza and two fingers.

Just draped the blanket over the top to see how it would work, made a big difference to the heat retention (duh!).

Check out my post about insulation layers, plastic sheets vs aluminum foil... need advise here before Sunday

cheers

Last edited by james; 02-18-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Aussie Readers

Yeh,
I'll chip in as a fellow Aussie WFO builder and proud of them.
Just sitting on the side look'n around occassionally and sharing what I know about them and my experiences.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:07 AM
Laborer

HI
I Am another Aussie builder (well hope to start soon). As an ex chef this has been a goal for a long time now. Still love fine food just don't like the hospitally industry anymore.
I finally have a big enough yard to make it happen, just need to read and read some more on this site. I live in the Greenbank area and would love to chat with anyone that can toss in their 2 cents worth. There seen to be a lot more to this then I first thought. Time is always tight and money even tighter so this won't happen to quickly, but it will happen!
Look forward to learning as I go
Rob
Old 09-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Apprentice

Welcome Rob!

I am also another newbie (Newcastle, NSW) and broke ground on my WFO project a couple of weekends ago. I plan to pour the foundation slab this weekend so long as the fine spring weather holds.

I do not plan to rush my oven construction so if you get moving quickly you may even beat me to the firts pizza>

Paul
Old 09-16-2009, 04:32 AM
Serf

Hi from the deep south

I've been lurking for sometime now. Picking up info etc and plan to start the WFO before Xmas. Still getting snow on the mountain down here in Hobart so not much happening outdoors at times.

Will post pics as it;s happening but don't hold your breath.

Cheers

Steve
Old 09-16-2009, 06:10 AM
Apprentice

Hi I'm from Sydney NSW and came across this Web site about a year ago. Since then I have been trawling through endless posts and have finally taken the plung and begun work on my 42inch WFO!!

Cannot wait till I'm done

cheers John
Old 09-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Apprentice

John,

How far have you got with your build? Have you decieded on what type of bricks, mortar, insulation etc to use yet?

I haven't started investigating prices or made the final decision on these things for my oven yet as I have only just started the foundation slab. If you have found any good suppliers I would be interested to know.

Paul
Old 09-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Laborer

Hi guys, great to see you all rolling your sleeves up and getting stuck into it. I have been around this forum for a couple of years now and have only just got my act together and got started. I was initially going to use fire bricks but I've settled on using
castable refractory (which is basically heat proof concrete). This product is used for kilns
and is the product used by many dome manufacturers. Since I have been talking about this for three years to any body that'll listen I have now got nine other people interested in making this kind of oven. The overall cost to me for the castable dome, firebrick floor, vermiculite, insulation blanket, door and flue will be around A$1100.
We have got a bit of a discount on all the materials because of the large amount we've ordered. The reason I've gone for the castable is simply that it's easy and quick to cast provided you have a form to work with. I've designed mine to be foure pieces for the actual dome and a separate piece for the entrance. We've made two entrances so far and two pieces of the dome as a trial. It all went well and we expect to be able to pour a full dome and entrance in 2-3 hours. There is also another thread you can find by searching for "castable refractory" which was started by Steve Preece. There you'll see Wild Willy's oven made out of castable as well.
I put a little more time into the sand mould because it has to be used ten times.
If there's any else you'd like to know just put the question out there and one of the many smart people on this forum will be able to answer it. Who knows I might enev be able to offer something.
Cheers
Mr G