Old 01-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Serf

Default Re: Aussie Readers

Hi Guys I am from Brisbane...

And I am looking at building one of these in my new house (which should be finnished in a month)... I am just starting out and doing my homework, by the looks of it, I have allot of reading then a hunt for plans

what a great site!!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Journeyman

Hi maestr000, Welcome to the site. You have lots of time to do the research and you don't even need to go anywhere to find plans. James has made that available for free on the site.

inishta

Old 01-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Serf

G'day. I'm pretty keen to build our first wood fired oven. As we live out in the sticks brick would stand out like the proverbial, so I'm wondering if I could utilise rocks to build it. We've plenty to spare and it would fit nicely with all the rock walls around the house. Interested in any thoughts you may have. Cheers.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Journeyman

Hi justjack, welcome to Forno Bravo. Natural stone is a great medium for finishing ovens. I'm a big fan myself. Have a look through the site and I'm sure you will find plenty to inspire you.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:48 AM
Laborer

What are you blokes doing - starting an Aussie Pizza Oven Mafia
It's great to see more and more Aussies finding one another on this great site!!

Good luck with all your projects - I'm looking forward to seeing pictures soon.
I'm sure you'll all find this great forum as informative and as helpful as I have.
There's not a topic that I can think of that these blokes don't know the answer to.

I'll be starting my oven after I finish a few of the more boring jobs that the missus has lined up for me
Old 01-24-2008, 06:55 AM
Journeyman

Mr G,
You silly, Victorian Boy-you. Aussi WFO mafia indeed!
Mate, once you complete your trial WFO (and minor tasks as set by SWMBO), I reckon you'd possibly pass the Border Check into Qld.
Once at The Border, you will be swabbed to establish if you will act as a genuine disinterested person, or join the Fun Police and help shut the whole place down.

Onya mr g:
These ovens range from hell heat to mildest protein restructure temperatures, and then some. Mate, if you're smart enough to consider a
WFO, then your Visa application to enter Qld would certainly gain credence.
Best wishes in your endeavours.
Jeff.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Peasant

Hey guys,
Found this site a few months ago and just joined. Located in Canberra and would love to have an oven occupy a small section of the backyard. Just need to work out where and then find the time.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Journeyman

Hmm. Canberra eh.Couldn't you have lied..... just a little?

Welcome to the Best Site Ever. Mate, James is a pure gem, and the rest of the rabble are a top mob. It's been such a varied course of instruction. (I'd never laid a clay brick in me life before this).

And the pizzas are pure bliss.
Get into it Mahootna. I'll see if I can drag up an image or two, to spur you on, eh.
Luddite Jeff.
Attached Thumbnails
Aussie Readers-img_2530.jpg   Aussie Readers-img_2550.jpg  
Old 02-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Laborer

Hey Guy's just found this site - it is awesome. Get the e-books on cooking, very high quality.

Just cooked first meal and 2 loaves of bread in my almost finished oven. Sensational!

I woos'ed out and bought a kit that included all materials (fire brick tile floor, terracotta fire bricks, perlite etc etc.) Whole oven from bare earth to first firing in four Sundays. Total price including 2 concrete deliveries about $2,500

At this stage I have the arch done and rendered with refractory cement. Tomorrow i add the insulating blanket and 10cm of perlite/cement.

It had to be fired three times to dry out so I chucked in some snags and veggies in a tray (great) and finished off with some bread.

Let me know if you want to see any piccy's

cheers
Old 02-16-2008, 02:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, we do!

Pics of the oven, the materials, the location, the build, the scars you got while building it, the bread, the veggies, your dogs and cats, and anything else you feel like posting.

I am not the only Picaholic on this site....