Old 12-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Agricultural lime in home brew

Here comes another long winded reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
I have noticed a that my homebrew is not very strong. When I installed the chimney on the anchor plate, the bricks that the anchor is screwed onto came loose. So I had to glue them back together with high heat cement. Hopefully I did a good enough job with the brick work in the dome and it truly is self supporting.

That's interesting. One of the guys on this forum (TXCraig? Tscarborough? can't remember) pointed out that the stronger the mortar, the weaker the bond between the mortar and the brick. So, if your bricks pulled away, either the mortar is strong or it was still "green" maybe.
Anyway, lots of bricklayers will tell you that the real job of the mortar is to keep the bricks apart and allow for minor differences in size and shape.
So, if you can imagine, in your oven, as long as the mortar is strong enough to not crumble and collapse, it is just another masonry unit, that is perfectly fitted to fill the gap between the bricks , if that makes sense. So if your mortar doesn't crumble back to dust, the oven consists of a heap of blocks, some brick, some mortar, that fit together perfectly. So well, it doesn't matter much if they aren't actually glued together.
Also, I'm assuming you have vermicrete over the outside? So the whole thing is encased in a block of concrete foam and the bricks can't slide anywhere?
It's gunna take a lot for this thing to fall down, bro.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Serf

That makes a lot of sense. I wouldnt glue bricks on the inside. But the ones that came loose (because of me over -tightening the chimney to the anchor plate) are holding the chimney in place so those have to stay put.

No vermicrete, just 3" of ceramic fiber, 1" of stucco and a layer of acrylic reinforced surface bonding cement. I guess the bricks have a little bit of wiggle room in there because of the blanket, but man I think it would take an earthquake to move them...
Old 06-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Serf

Just so anyone reading this thread knows what Ag lime is, it is finely crushed limestone.

It is not intended to be any portion of the binder of a mortar. Regardless of your intention to use Lime in your mixture, Ag lime is not hydrated, collated or related to building lime except that it's origin is Calcium Carbonate. Please do not make the same mistake as Skywalker made, because you are simply adding aggregate instead of binder.

The only possible use in a mortar mix for Ag Lime would be to replace sand as it is similar in consistency and size to fine sand. I have been tempted to try Ag Lime because there are two limestone quarries within 1 mile of my house and I have to go 30 miles for mason sand.

The purpose of refractory mortar or refractory cement is to give strength to the whole construction throughout the heat cycle. Portland is very strong as a binder until it heats up past 600 F then it fails. (actually it fails as it cools down below 600 F so if you intend to keep your oven hot, it will work fine.

Building lime is added to give strength when the Portland fails, but Lime mortar sets up really slow. The combination of Portland and building Lime is excellent for an oven because each ingredient compliments the weakness of the other, thus contributing to the overall strength.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ag lime is, as stated, not "lime" per se, it is finely ground calcium carbonate, which is what you want your real lime to turn into as a part of the mortar. It is used to add alkalinity to acid soils.

Tags
agricultural lime, dome