Old 11-04-2009, 04:47 AM
Apprentice

Wink Re: 36'' or 42" oven?

I'm impartial on this one--hey, maybe I am a waffling American politician!

I was born to krauts, and I love when they describe machines in sub 0.01 mm precision. But I'm also an amateur historian of the machine tool tradition. The first useful machine lathes were British and American (surprise!), and used Imperial measurements. The first numerical temperature scale was Fahrenheit. The first standardized screw threads were in Imperial units. I have a granite flat ground to 30/1,000,000 inch flatness. Sounds more impressive describing it that way, I think. And to this day, when a european buys an LCD flat screen TV, they are presented with INCHES screen diagonal.

Yeah, I know bla, bla, bla.

It sure is cool outside today, 0---Celsius. I can't wait for the wet saw to get here.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: 36'' or 42" oven?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pfeifer View Post
And to this day, when a european buys an LCD flat screen TV, they are presented with INCHES screen diagonal.
nope - it's presented in centimeters.

Even though those cm equate to an inch measurement,
That's only because it's expensive to build 1 size for Luddites and one size for everyone else

I mean no self respecting Luddite is going to buy a 39 1/64" tv

I also find it funny that imperial background people weigh water and present it in grams.

Not that there's anything wrong with Inches...but why work with fractions if you don't have to?

Last edited by Mitchamus; 11-04-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Journeyman

It really would be nice if we Luddites would convert. I tried to change the oil on my Honda lawn mower and needed to find a 10mm wrench because the imperial ones were too big or too small.

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Journeyman

here you go...

(I hate these things BTW)
Old 11-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Journeyman

Thanks. I laughed out loud.

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

On a completely different topic (or mabe not).... WFOAMBA - why just America? Something wrong with metric ovens maybe?

I mean WFOAMBWW also sounds quite catchy... or maybe we need a European and an Australian division?

Old 11-05-2009, 02:10 AM
Apprentice

I agree with Frances.

My proposal for this new organisation is WOMBAT... Wood fired Oven Manufactures Belonging to Any Town

Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
(Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)
Old 11-05-2009, 02:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree about the wall thickness being the main factor in heat time. A smaller oven is burning a smaller fire but still takes around an hour to fire up. The heat is still only going to travel through the walls at the same rate. A fast heat up is not really desirable anyway because it only creates more stress on the refractory materials. If you really want to be kind to your oven you should keep the rate really low (like 100 C/Hr) But who wants to go that slow ?
Old 11-05-2009, 03:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I actulally bought an adjustable wrench once and its marked on the handle
"METRIC ADJUSTABLE" which is the only reason I bought it,,, I thought it was too funny to pass up....

Cheers
Mark
Old 11-05-2009, 04:13 AM
Apprentice

If the tread is still discussing 36" versus 42" oven size I may add that it is important to be aware of the following. heating up the inner skin of the various size ovens to a certain temperature does not differ much in time. The duration of the fire is however very importent in regard to the temperature gradient in the fire bricks. Until the fire bricks are "fully loaded" (minimum temp. gradient) the oven will respond with a very rapid initial surface temperature drop when firing stops. This is due to the fact that the temperature gradient will rapidly flattens out. A "fully loaded" brick wall will see a very gradual temperature drop determined by the heat loss through the insulation mainly. If you plan for short firing you should consider a smaller diameter to assure that your oven get fully heat loaded.

karl