Old 09-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 32" Oven Big enough?

HI Darius!

First, one inch is less than critical to oven performance or ability so the diff between a 36 inch oven and a 35 is nonexistent. It is easily lost in the roundoff.

It appears your hearthslab is elevated which I interpret to mean you COULD use some rock to overhang the vertical a bit and create a larger support area for the dome. The bulk of the weight will be inside the blanket and outer shell so it would still be over your base. Does that make sense!

Another trick is the shell does not have to be uniformly thick. You could have minimal insulation (say 2 inches) only at the BOTTOM of the shell and get thicker as you go higher!!!

Be creative!
Jay
Old 09-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It's interesting that you mention a nonuniform shell. I have been considering the very same idea. I was wondering if, for an igloo design, one could make the exterior shell hemispherical, which by design would be considerably thicker at the apex than the horizon relative to the oven dome.

One thing I liked about the idea of a hemispherical outer shell is that it could be done with a very stylish looking geodesic structure...I'm giving away my ideas here.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Peasant

I was space constrained too - and have built a 90cm (about 35") dome - it easily does 2 pizzas at a time and holds enough heat for roasting and bread baking.

James
Old 09-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Another way to get LOTS of insulation is to build an exterior frame shell "house and simply pack the area around the blankets with good insulation like perlite! But you lose the funky igloo!
Jay
Old 09-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Apprentice

I was reading another thread where shaving the edges was used to make the oven fit in a constrained area. I am just stealing an idea.

I understand what you mean by using the extra space I have on edges between brick to create additional hearth slab area. the barrel vault design called for that 2" area (on each side) be filled with vermiculite/portland mix to insulate and keep outer brick veneer from cracking. Now that I've switched plans to pompeii style I won't have to worry about filling that area up. I could always mix up some simple concrete w/aggregate and fill up all around and this would strengthen the outer bricks and create more hearth slab area. Or I could just form up the unused space on each side just where the oven will be and pour additional concrete. It wouldn't be a whole lot needed.

I am not sure yet, but I am probably going to enclose the igloo hearth in brick. But since I am using mid to late fall as a goal for being done with this project, I'm thinking I'll just use the 3" of insulating blankets and say it's enough insulation to avoid more head scratching time with additional methods of insulating. Thanks for the input! the old wheels upstairs are starting to turn a little bit thanks to you guys...
Old 01-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Laborer

Boy, I'm impressed !! Thanks for the great photos. I think I'll use them in helping with my build. My foundation is excavated below grade also (due to topo isues) so that helped a lot.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Serf

Nice to see another NC oven build. I am in Charlotte and planning ground breaking after the weather gets a little warmer ( and wife gets off my back about all the other things I need to do first!).

Keep us posted, look forward to seeing your build. I might just have to plan a trip to Asheville!

Jason
Old 01-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My oven is only 21" diam yet by removing the coals and maintaining a small fire on the side I can still fit 3 x 9" pizzas in. I only use this method if cooking for more than 30 people, usually, like everyone else I cook one pizza at a time. A smaller oven is way quicker and cheaper to build, uses less materials, takes up less sspace and weighs much less.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Laborer

Thanks for the tip. Yes, it looks like I may have to go smaller, but I still want to stay with a brick oven and a cost of under $1,000 if possible. It's the oven arch/vent area that's casuing me headaches. I guess I'll just have to place with some designs. I was considering a clay horno, but it's not brick.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Serf

I agree with you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.