Old 06-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 10 random questions as I look through this site:

I'm not even reading this thread. Do research by reading as much as possible. Life's too short to keep posting the same answers over and over for those who don't want to spend the time to learn. The answers are all here for those willing to click a link. Perhaps I'm getting jaded.

-
Old 06-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

George, again we agree. Those looking for shortcuts and answers to the "basics" have no comprehension of the magnitude of an oven build.....its alot of work to have a good performing, structurally sound product - why would you want to short change yourself in the long run by not doing a little reading? (I probably had 50 hrs of reading on this site, as well as printing anything I deamed important, before I lifted a finger or spent my first $). Anything construction related (home, shed, WFO, pool,) takes a bit of planning and research in order to NOT create a money pit or useless/unsafe end result.
Too much DIY television.....everyone thinks they can transform their home in 48 hrs, with 50 bucks, after asking a few questions of a part timer at Home Depot.
I honestly can't think of any aspect of oven construction that has not been covered on this forum...with great photos, drawings, and instructions......come on people, use what is already here.
(The musings of another jaded sole)

RT
Old 06-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I land in the middle on this one. Reading is essential, and asking the most basic questions again and again does not really help the overall community. Try using the search feature to drill down into the areas where you have questions to see if they have been answered before.

Still, I have learned how to do a lot of my web site work by using Forums exactly like ours. I find that there is a fine line between wasting time reading the manual for too long, or trying to filter through tons of historical threads -- and just asking the question. Some of the technology forums are huge, and the information can be overwhelming, and a quick question and answer can really help.

Also, even after you understand the basic oven fundamentals -- each oven project is a little different, and two (or more) heads are better than one.

I greatly enjoyed the input on my latest oven project, and I always like asking questions on cooking topics where I can use some expert, or creative, input.

Am I hungry? I don't know; let's have a poll. :-)

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Its not just about the information either, sometimes first questions are about getting a feel for the forum. Realising that yes, I will get answers if I post a question... maybe a good thing to know BEFORE you get half way through your dome and hit a major problem. Specially for a novice builder.

Then there's that other fine line between inquisitive innovation and trying to re-invent perfectly good oven plans. I love builds with innovations, but hate anything that implies the plans are in some way Not Good Enough... its just difficult to tell the difference sometimes...

Old 06-05-2008, 07:38 AM

I firmly believe there is no dumb question, just a dumb mistake. I think our poster erred in asking ten questions, when one or two at a time would have led him in the right direction. Still, how many times have we been asked, "Why won't my oven built on sand/gravel/broken glass heat up and stay hot?". Best to let the new people know that there is help here, and questions get answered.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Master Builder

Please remember that this forum is much larger than when perhaps more "seasoned" contributers started. If you've been with the forum all along, you've seen every question asked a dozen times. If you are just starting, the immense amount of data can be difficult to sift through (there are over 33,000 posts!). The seach engine does not always lead you in the right direction. I often find it easier to use Google. FB is always the top entry in any WFO related questions.

I agree that we should read as much as we can before jumping into the project. I read throught the forum for 4 months before my first post! We should also continue to welcome new members, however, and not discourage the questions.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
Its not just about the information either, sometimes first questions are about getting a feel for the forum. Realising that yes, I will get answers if I post a question... maybe a good thing to know BEFORE you get half way through your dome and hit a major problem. Specially for a novice builder.
Great point Frances. After all, we do hang around here to help.. don't we?

My costs:

My pics:

Old 06-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
I'm not even reading this thread. Do research by reading as much as possible. Life's too short to keep posting the same answers over and over for those who don't want to spend the time to learn. The answers are all here for those willing to click a link. Perhaps I'm getting jaded.
Bad day George?
Maybe you need a babysitter and we can go hit a hot new bar or something!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 06-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

There is such a thing as too much information. This forum is jam packed. I give the poster extra credit for adding the Rugby question.

Updated!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
There is such a thing as too much information. This forum is jam packed. I give the poster extra credit for adding the Rugby question.
I give Ken extra credit for "knowing" the answer.

And I remember asking lots of questions that had been posted and answered before.

i.e. "Is this perlcrete suppose to look like this, and will it ever get hard?"

My costs:

My pics: