Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Artisan Ingredients (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   Trader Joe's Brand flour (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f19/trader-joes-brand-flour-6343.html)

james 03-21-2009 06:39 PM

Trader Joe's Brand flour

I went to TJs today (as I do most days), and for the first time saw that they have replaced King Arthur flours with TJ brand flour. Interestingly, they are the two same types -- All Purpose and White Whole Wheat, which has me wondering if this is a private label deal with King Arthur. They don't get downward price pressure at their other retail locations by selling at a low price through Trader Joe's. This is a completely uninformed guess.

Does anyone know anything about this?

I will keep looking into it. I wrote the other day that KA flour I buy through TJ's is a pretty reasonable percentage of my caloric intake.

Hmmmm.
James

sjmeff 03-21-2009 07:37 PM

Re: Trader Joe's Brand flour

Here's a post about it on the KA blog:
Say it ain?t so, Joe?s! | King Arthur Flour - Bakers? Banter

S

james 03-21-2009 10:20 PM

Wow. I have to think about this for a minute.

50lb bags for Giustos organic flour from San Francisco?

James

Jraducha 03-23-2009 12:48 AM

Giustos is awesome flour! Their High Performer works great.

roncut 03-23-2009 01:45 PM

Sorry to change the subject but didn't know where to post this. I found some San Marzano Pomodoro seeds imported from Italy. They were in a deli in little italy Chicago.
I have about 12 plants potted and am hoping for success in my garden. The company that packages them is Franchi Sementi. The writing is in Italian and only shows the places in italy to plant them and what month. Just a little tidbit of information

james 03-24-2009 06:49 PM

I email TJ's to see if they would disclose any more details on the house brand flour. We'll see what they say.

We can get KA flour at Smart and Final. I'm still deciding what to do.
James

BrianShaw 03-25-2009 01:41 PM

If the email doesn't yield a credible response, you might try asking the manager at your local store. I've found them to be "open books" to past questions I've asked.

dmun 03-25-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

you might try asking the manager at your local store.
I remember once asking for yeast at the local TJ. "Oh, that's a seasonal item: come back at Christmas" I was told.

james 03-25-2009 08:21 PM

OK, some are better than others.
James

Jraducha 03-26-2009 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 52596)

50lb bags for Giustos organic flour from San Francisco?

James

Have you tried the Giustos flour before?