Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Tomato Sauce from Home Grown Tomatoes

OK - after reading 59 reviews on Amazon for this product it seems that it is definitely up to the job so I took the plunge and bought it at the kitchen store nearby. One useful bit of info was that may need to send the waste through the system a secnd time for maximum extraction.

I managed to get a bag of well ripened Romas at lunch time for $1.50 so should be able to make a few litres of sauce. Will be cranking this baby up tonight to test its capabilities. Just checked in the box and the parts looks good quality and come apart for easy cleaning.

Will report the results later.

Rossco

PS - Depending on the performance of this attachment, I may have found a meaninful purpose for my KA since it was relieved of its role as dough maker after a somewhat dismal performance in the past.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Verdict: 5 STARS

Have just tested this attachment out and made about 3 litres of tomto sauce.

It worked really great and I was pleased with the results. Firstly, I cut the tomatoes into quarters to facilitate putting down the feeder shute. I got the system running "production line" style having cut up a good number of the tomatoes beforehand. The pips and skins were removed effectively and the waste skins were expelled from the end of the stainless steel filter screen. I ran the waste through the attachment a second time as recommended and was pleasantly surprised to see how much additional sauce was extracted.

One particular positive was the fact that the sauce was a a bright red colour I am guessing that the processing of the skins allowed some pigment in the skins to be extracted as well. This was a very positive outcome (see earier post).

On the down side - not attachment related - was the amount of juice that was extracted. That was obviously related to the type of tomatoes used so no bad reflection on the attachment itself.

Overall, the KA handled the load effortlessly and I believe that I have now found a cost effective, tasty and efficient way of making a really good sauce. Thanks go to Peter for steering me in the right direction.

I have quite a bit of sauce now and want to save it for a future pizza bake off.... any suggestions on how I can best store the sauce (freeze ??) welcomed.

Rossco
Attached Thumbnails
Tomato Sauce from Home Grown Tomatoes-cimg3537.jpg   Tomato Sauce from Home Grown Tomatoes-cimg3541.jpg   Tomato Sauce from Home Grown Tomatoes-cimg3544.jpg   Tomato Sauce from Home Grown Tomatoes-cimg3546.jpg   Tomato Sauce from Home Grown Tomatoes-cimg3549.jpg  

Old 02-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just an update on this one - I managed to sort out the problem with the excess water in the sauce by doing the following:

1. Left the sauce to stand for a few hours on the bench (covered) to allow tomato to "float" on the water.

2. Poured the sauce into containers - one fridge and one freezer.

3. Left a small amount of the sauce in the bottom of the main container (the water was clearly visible under the remaining sauce).

4. Spooned out the majority of sauce, then placed a paper towel under the sauce (slid under the sauce). This absorbed the water and the floating sauce settled onto the paper towel ready for decanting into container...

Note: the sauce seemed to firm up after standing for a while so probably a good idea to let it rest before using or freezing it.

Rossco
Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Apprentice

Hi Rossco,

I boil mine and then put it into preserving jars. That way I don't need to take up precious freezer space and it keeps for a long time (like a couple of years) without noticable deterioration.

One other thing too: I have seen Jamie Oliver making a tomato consomme which was completely clear, yet was pure tomato taste. So I'm figuring the water in tomatoes does contain a lot of the tomato taste, hence I prefer reducing it with boiling, rather than discarding the water altogether.

peter
Old 02-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Peter ...

Can you please post the actual method of preserving the sauce. My understanding is that cooking changes the characteristics of the sauce and is therefore not recommended (the FB pizza handbook is a reference point for details of this). Once preserved, do you not need to refridgerate the sauce??

Rossco
Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Apprentice

Hi Rossco,

I just boil / simmer the tomato pulp until I have reached the desired consistency, then put it into sterilized preserving jars, put the lid on and preserve using the "water bath method". This essentially means that you submerge the filled and sealed jars completely under water and let it boil like that for a little while longer. Then just let it cool down naturally. Once cooled they go in the pantry until required, no fridge necessary. There is plenty of info on the web about preserving.

And yes, cooking (Whole or as a sauce) changes it. Just like canned tomatoes are way different from fresh tomatoes.

About the FB handbook about sauce: they are referring to using canned San Marzanos to start with. That means they have already been cooked once (in the factory as part of the canning process), so cooking them again is not necessary.

Peter V.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for that Peter ... I have much to learn here...

BTW I had a look at some of yesterday's sauce this morning (the batch in the fridge) and there was about 20 mm of clear liquid (water?) at the bottom. Do you think that it would be advisable to suck the clear liquid out or do I need a certain amount in the sauce to get the right consistency for pizza use?

Rossco
Old 02-04-2010, 02:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

This is a pic of the separated water/sauce. I think I will remove the water part at this stage. It may make it a bit dry but it that's the case I'll know for next time.

Rossco
Attached Thumbnails
Tomato Sauce from Home Grown Tomatoes-cimg3550.jpg  
Old 02-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Round number 2
===========

I popped into the local grocer yesterday and found some well ripe romas and got a big bag for $1.90 - good for about 2.5 litres of sauce.

I sent them through the machine and the results were really good - even better than the last round. The sauce was much thicker and made a mound when extracted from the machine. No "water" this time around - even after standing overnight - so maybe these are a better type of Roma tomato.

Peter - just reread the thread and saw your note on reducing rather than discarding the "water" - thanks for that. Based on the latest results, I will try and source better tomatoes (SMs if possible) in future so there is hopefully no need to process further.

Rossco
Attached Thumbnails
Tomato Sauce from Home Grown Tomatoes-tomato_2.jpg  
Old 02-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

For the pizza bash for 12 people coming up this weekend, I thought that I would prepare another batch of this sauce - fresh from the tomato.

I dropped by the fruit shop during my lunch time walk and to my surprise, I scored 2 x carrier bags of well ripened tomatoes which I will convert into sauce. The going rate seems to be about $1. per kg which is a steal. I may have to preserve the bulk of the sauce as there will be about 5.5 litres of it.

KPete's method of extracting pips and skins mechanically is brilliant and well worth the effort. The fact that there seems to be a plentiful supply of cheap Roma tomatoes makes it even more worthwhile. Some places may even give them to you!! I highly recommend this process however there will be an intial outlay to buy the equipment, but once you have that you will be all set up for making regular batches of top quality sauce.