Old 11-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I would enjoy seeing photos of your local buffalo. Or even better, seeing you milk one. We will wait for that.

I have been told that you can freeze a fresh mozzarella in its water, though I have to admit that I have never done it. Frozen mozzarella is suppose to last for a couple of months. That's next on my list of things to try. That, and making it fresh. More to come on that.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Peasant

Default Re: See How Mozzarella di Bufala is Made

For the one Canadian subscribed to this thread who happens to live within an hours drive of me.... I'm considering getting myself 2 water buffalo, already have the wife's approval plus a neighbour who wants to be part of a real cow share. Sharing half the work that is and half the milk. I will post pics of my micro mozzarella di bufala project here. Also for the one Canadian subscribed: Farmers Martin Littkemann and Lori Smith have what they claim is North America's largest herd near Belleville ON Canada. The others in Ontario apparently supply Quality Cheese in Toronto.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Peasant

Default Re: See How Mozzarella di Bufala is Made

This mozzarella di bufala is available from Quality Cheese in Vaughan ON Canada.
I visited the farm they get their milk from on Monday... Water Buffalos are like big dogs, cost about $4k each to buy (ready to milk) about $500 a year to feed, and apparently conventional cattle fence is useless, electric is the only thing that keeps them in. Thanks to Martin at the Ontario Water Buffalo Company in Sterling ON Canada for the great tour. Plus he sells very fresh mozzarella di bufala from his farm.
Attached Thumbnails
See How Mozzarella di Bufala is Made-photo-9-.jpg