Old 06-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: San Marzano Tomatos at Green Thumb

My ones are about 6 inches high (winter in the sub tropics so probably a good month away from harvest.)
Home grown organic sun ripened will taste way better than canned.
Get half the crop ,they usually ripen on mass in 2 or 3 lots over the season (depending on your climate)
Cut them in half take out the core cook until slightly soft with a bit of salt.
Run through your passatta machine a few times to get some salsa/passata and jar with one basil leaf
....next crop
boil in water for a few seconds plunge in ice water peel and jar using some of the first salsa/passatta.
for pizza sauce straight passata is best
Old 06-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Peasant

Mine are now over 4' tall already and were only planted in mid may. They also have a ton of little tomato bud already as wells hopefully they turn out. This is my first attempt at a gardens we will see what happens. I built a 4'x8' 18" raised bed out of maintain free decking and put 4 tomato plants 6 pepper plants some herbs garlic and onions around the side.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Journeyman

They like basil growing with them and also marigolds are good as a bug deterrent.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Peasant

So how did everyone else's crop turn out? I got a ton of tomatoes. I don't know if any one has tried juliet tomatoes, but they are like a small Roma. That has Ben my best producer by far. I have been getting about a cool whip bowl full every day or two all summer off that one plant. But it kinda vined over all the other plants as well so it hampered some of the others a little.

Randy
Old 09-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Journeyman

I did four bushes of san marzanos. I have already harvested approx two hundred and fifty and have at least another two hundred to go.

I've made about a gallon and a half of sauce. I've frozen bunch of zip lock bags and break them out when I want. It's good, but I'm not at all sure it's worth the effort. I think I prefer the larger tomatos and putting them on sandwhiches.

Bill
Old 09-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJW View Post
.... I think I prefer the larger tomatos and putting them on sandwhiches.

Bill
It's hard to beat a "mator sammich" , especially, if they are grown with chicken sht and copius amounts of water .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyJ View Post
So how did everyone else's crop turn out? I got a ton of tomatoes. Randy
Mine were partially successful. I got some sort of black fungus near to top (where the stem meets the fruit). That whole stem-fruit junction seemed to be problematic for me. Even the decent tomatoes I've harvested were nice and red at the bottom, but cracked...green...just not so perfect the closer you get to the stem.

My other plants (beefsteak, cherry) did fine. Maybe it was just too shady at the San Marzano end of the garden? Maybe they didn't like the dry hott Ohio summer? Beats me.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give my San Marzanos a 5. I'll try again next year and see how it goes.