Old 10-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: San Marzano Tomatoes - Grow your own!

That sounds promising - I didn't know they were bigger than others.

That's a further plus to using them I guess!!

Rossco
Old 10-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Rossco, good luck. I have had ZERO luck growing tomatoes here in Florida. Although virtually everything is grown here including large quantities of tomatoes, most home gardeners don't have much luck. Blight is a serious problem for the home gardener. The commercial growers must dump chemicals on their plants. Even a friend who is a certified master gardener told me 'good luck with that', knowing I did not have the time or expertise to avoid problems.
I must say, I grew up in Ohio (about 1200 miles north) and did not realize how good we had it when it came to gardening. Literally plop any variety of tomato in the ground, wait 75-90 days, and have have so many that you tired of eating, canning, and giving them away. No pest problems, no fungus or blight, no extreme heat.....just a short growing season. Just before moving here I envisioned having fruits and vegetables thriving all over my property because of the extremely long season or the double season of many vegetables. It is really 10 times the work keeping the plants healthy and can consume much of your week. My only success is basil, I just replaced a potted basil plant that had produced for nearly 2 yrs, every 2-3 wks I would trim it down to sticks and it would fight right back and produce a gallon freezer bag full every 2 weeks. I have added three more to the run, so within 6 or 8 wks I will have a freezer full of basil.
I have also had pretty good luck with chili peppers - new mexico, aneheims, jalopeno, and serrano.

RT
Old 10-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow - I thought Florida would be perfect for growing all sorts of stuff. Strange about the tomatoes too. Hopefully I will have better luck in the warm, dry Mediterranean climate here...

Ross
Old 10-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

you can grow anything very easily, keeping it alive and pest free is the problem. I have no problems getting tomato plants to grow like crazy for 30-45 days. About the time tomatoes form I seem to be doomed.
I've had the following in the past 2 growing seasons: fungus - early blight, grey leaf spot, and FV wilt. Bugs/pests - leaf minors. All major infestations that I just could not get rid of despite "professional" guidance.
I should be planting right now (or within the past month) but have become so frustrated, I will wait for next spring and skip a growing season. Some of these fungus are soil born and tough to get rid of. I grow my tomatoes and peppers in raised planters, so I am keeping the soil covered to dry out in between multiple anti-fungal and pest treatments. I guess I could try replacing the soil again.....but that didn't help the first time.
Seriously, good luck with the SMs, give us a full report after harvest. Might be worth a shot for me to try something completely new next year.

RT
Old 10-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliman View Post
That sounds promising - I didn't know they were bigger than others.

That's a further plus to using them I guess!!

Rossco

The San Marzanos aren't really any bigger than other Romas, but they do grow slightly differently. One of the biggest reasons they aren't more widely grown is that the crop comes in gradually rather than all at once like the standard Romas, which makes harvesting more laborious for commercial growers. For household gardens, though, it's often a plus... you can pick a few tomatoes at a time over the season instead of having one big harvest that then needs canning.

You should probably do well with them. Your Mediterranean climate is perfect for tomatoes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Journeyman

Keep us posted rossco!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

UPDATE
======

The seeds arrived 2 days ago and I have planted them in a nice sunny spot.

Hopefully I will see some activity in 7-10 days...

Rossco
Old 11-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

UPDATE
======

Good news!!!!!

The tomato plants popped their head up out of the soil this morning.

I have got a really nice sunny spot for them and will add a trellis as soon as needed.

Rossco.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Journeyman

My little grape tomatoes have come up as well.

No idea what variety they are, I bought some for a salad, they were delicious so I kept one back for seeds...

I'd really like to grow some black Russian toms too.

Last edited by Mitchamus; 11-03-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Can't beat "growing your own" when it comes to fruit, veg and herbs!!

Those Black Russians sound nice - do you intend using the same method to extract the seeds as you did for the grapes or will you buy seeds?

I sowed the seeds from last years chili bushes and the beds look like they have got grass planted in them with all the chillies popping up. I will be selecting the strongest ones and repotting them as necessary.

I do enjoy cranking up a fiery hot pizza at the end of a baking session. Great to get the blood flowing!!!

Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchamus View Post
My little grape tomatoes have come up as well.

No idea what variety they are, I bought some for a salad, they were delicious so I kept one back for seeds...

I'd really like to grow some black Russian toms too.