Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Artisan Ingredients

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Pizza Sauce recipe questions

Hello Dave
Oblong pizzas eat the same as round ones! Thanks for the tip on the rice flour, I'll give it a try. I use semolina because I don't like the crunch of corn meal.

Link to my photo album:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Laborer

I just want to use the Semolina for the dough ball prep like the gal did in the UTube video. Apparently it keeps the flour dust to a minimum which would help. On the peel I, like CobblerDave, use rice flour. It doesn't burn as bad as corn meal & has very little flavor to it. Chris, you sound like a rebel, and I like it!!!
Jim Bob
Old 10-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey1 View Post
Hello Dave
Oblong pizzas eat the same as round ones! Thanks for the tip on the rice flour, I'll give it a try. I use semolina because I don't like the crunch of corn meal.
Gudday
Sometimes it can gets a little confusing with term used for different things.
I was under the impression that cornmeal was the same as semolina.
Polenta is the term we use for semolina just to add to the interest. But one thing I do know for certain polenta does leave crunchy bits on the base
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 10-25-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:40 AM
Journeyman

Dave
Thats funny, it sounds like in Aust that they call corn meal Semolina. Semolina as i know it here is a Italian course flour primarily used in making pasta. It gets absorbed into the crust very well and adds no crunchy bits to the bottom.

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 10-26-2013, 11:50 AM
Laborer

I just googled the difference between Semolina vs Polenta. Here is the web site that will tell all.
The difference between polenta and semolina | Baking With Gab

Apparently Semolina is made from wheat & polenta is made from corn. Hope this clears it up.

JB
Old 10-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Journeyman

JB
How did the pizza party go? I hope well. It's 39* here and gale force winds. Not a good night for a pizza party. Roast chicken and mashed Tate's, comfort food.

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 10-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Apprentice

Yikes...we had mid-fifties today with gusts around 20+...great weather for working on the oven, though I had to mix the mortar in smaller batches.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Laborer

The party went well & the pizzas turned out to be my best effort in 5 yrs. I attribute it to the full kneading of the dough & hiding the rolling pin!!! Did all by hand & crowd was impressed. Also I had excellent control over the heat in the oven for some reason. Temp was easy to maintain about 700-750 on floor & 800 on ceiling. This balance in temp allows me to create a nice crust on bottom without burning the top. Weather was unbelievable. 60 degrees even as late as 11:00 pm with a mild southern breeze. My next change(as I always want to do better!)will be to make larger dough balls. Making 8 pizzas from 1000 gms of flour is not enough dough to really work with or "slap around". Will try 6 next time.

Then to top it off, I put a picnic shoulder in oven at 10:00 pm, put door on & forgot it until 7:00 am this morning. Absolutely fall apart tender. I had put dry rub on it & covered with alum foil. Temp in oven this am was 310 on floor, & 410 on ceiling.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Journeyman

JB
Glad to here your party went well. Im envious, weather here flat out sucks. 44 degrees today and a wonderfull on-off misty rain.

I make my dough balls 330 grams each for around a 14" pizza. I normally figure that each pie will feed two adults.

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Laborer

Chris,

Really liked the idea of larger doughballs. One that I should have thought of several yrs ago. It will cut our prep time almost in half with large crowds.

I did have 6 doughballs left over from Sat Nite and I combined them into 3 doughballs & continued to refrigerate them for 4 days. Cooked them on the Big Green Egg Monday nite. Very, very good. & yes, 2 people could easily split one 12-14" pizza.

We are still having some fantastic weather. Will be 80 degrees today, & on Sat the high will be 65!! Absolutely the best for firing up the oven.

Have a great day,

Jim Bob