Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Artisan Ingredients

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Pizza Sauce recipe questions

In a blender:

Crushed tomatoes
Fresh basil
Fresh oregano
Fresh garlic
Sometimes a shallot
Salt
Pepper, sometimes crushed red
Red food coloring if anyone else is going to see it. All the greenery makes the sauce brownish.

Let it sit in the refrigerator for a couple hours.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Laborer

I can tell you exactly what I do, since I follow Forno Bravo instructions e-book series Volume 2: Wood Fired Pizza that I downloaded several yrs ago and have been using ever since. If you can access,it is on pages 20 -26 on doughball preparation. If not I do the following: I weigh out the flour in batches of 1000 mgs(800 mgs in one bowl & 200 mgs in another).then add 35 mgs of kosher salt to the 800 mg bowl. Measure out 6 gms of active dry yeast and put in 650 mgs of water that has been heated to 100-105 degrees. After dissolving yeast in water, let it rest for 10 minutes. Then add to the 800 mg bowl. Using a spatula work it in just so all the flour is wet and sticky. Let it hydrate for 20 minutes, then knead the 800 mgs and work in remaining 200 mgs 5-7 minutes. Then put in bowl, cover with plastic wrap & a cloth towel for 2 hrs. Then weigh the risen dough & divide by 8. That is target weight for each doughball. Work them down popping the air bubbles & shape into balls. Then place in a pam'ed tupperware tub, cover, & place in fridge for several hrs. Then remove, let them reach room temp, & work down bubbles again. Then begin making 8-12" pizzas, working from center out. Brush dough lightly w/olive oil, spread sauce, & add ingredients and finally cheese. Sorry that was so wordy. Some batches work well, others don't. consistency is just not there.
JB
Old 10-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Master Builder

I have been using the FB Perfect Pizza Dough by Weight recipe on this site. I am happy with it and haven't messed around with it other than to work a bit of Italian Herbs into it once and that went ok.

When it comes to stretching the dough I found How To Hand Slap Pizza Crust - YouTube helped me a lot, no rolling pins involved and a much better outcome.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 10-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Journeyman

Ive grabbed the dough out of the fridge after a 24 hour slow rise
Then rolled it out using a pin, while cold and let it sit and rise for an hour
Then cooked and it was excellent
Old 10-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
Ive grabbed the dough out of the fridge after a 24 hour slow rise
Then rolled it out using a pin, while cold and let it sit and rise for an hour
Then cooked and it was excellent
Gudday
Totally agree its the 24 hrs in the fridge that does it. The resulting dough can then be teased to shape without spring back.
After 3 years still not a perfect round pizza though, recon the slightly misshape one taste better
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 10-25-2013, 04:49 AM
Laborer

I can't believe I said mgs. No, all my measurements above were grams!!! Sorry. Since my next big cook is Sat nite, I will make those doughballs today(Friday) and let them sit until Sat afternoon. Not sure what time it is now in Australia. It is 6:40 am, Friday, in Memphis, TN right now. Thanks guys for all the help. Some great tips. Will keep trying to make them better. Making 15-30 pizzas, I do allow each person to select their own ingredients using a one page form I developed listing all available additives & encouraging them to use only 3-5 of them at one time. Makes the party more fun for them & I divide up the ingredients for each couple to bring, already prepared for putting on pizza. I insist on only the very best quality of ingredients!! Why go to the trouble of making great dough & sauce only to have them bring crap to put on it!! Sure saves me some prep time. Otherwise I would buy it all and do it myself. More time left to build fire, drink wine, prepare dough balls, drink wine, clean the place up & make sauce, plus have a drink of wine!! Ha.

JB
Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
bringing back to room temp, they seem to rubbery to spread out without a rolling pin

Then put in bowl, cover with plastic wrap & a cloth towel for 2 hrs. Then weigh the risen dough & divide by 8. That is target weight for each doughball. Work them down popping the air bubbles & shape into balls. Then place in a pam'ed tupperware tub, cover, & place in fridge for several hrs. Then remove, let them reach room temp, & work down bubbles again. Then begin making 8-12" pizzas, working from center out
JB

The only comments I have are on your process because your recipe looks good although I'd like to know what flour you're using .

1:As soon as I'm done kneading I divide the dough into pizza portions, ball and they hit the fridge.

2:I highly recommend rising in fridge at least 2-3 days preferable 4-5. The dough will stretch easier not to mention the added flavor and texture of the long slow ferment.

3:I try very hard not to overly de-gas the dough while shaping

4:With finger tips I define the crust edge around the entire outer edge of dough by pressing down

5:I start initially stretching by slapping the dough between my two hand until its more than half the size I want

6:Next with both fists into dough i gently begin stretching while turning constantly until size I need

7:This tip I love and addresses Dave's misshape issues. I put the dough balls into lightly oiled individual plastic containers around 6" in dia while in fridge. Once the dough comes out of them, they are already round and ready to go

Other than that, the issues with your dough could be under kneading which could be your problem, its nearly impossibly to over knead dough by hand. Your dough should be very supple and stretch and form pretty easily. If its tough to stretch its gonna be tough to eat.

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:

Last edited by hodgey1; 10-25-2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Quotes
Old 10-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Laborer

Chris,
Interesting stuff. Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of 4-5 days this time. Cooking tomorrow!. If you will look back on Page 1, I list the flour as Molina Caputo OO Pizza flour from Italy. I was told only two places to buy it in the USA. One in Sacramento(Forno Bravo store) or Pittsburgh, PA. at the Pennsylvania Macaroni Co & that's where I have been purchasing it in 55 lb bags for several years now. It's about $1.00/lb. plus shipping.

I really do appreciate your comments and I did watch the UTube video recommended by Greenman above. ALso some very good ideas. Can't seem to locate the semolina flour though. Kroger's says they have never even heard of it!! Bunch of dummies.

I suspect you're correct on the kneading though. I probably have been babying it too much and it is not getting worked enough.
Thanks Chris,

Jim Bob
Old 10-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Journeyman

The semolina is pretty common around here in grocery stores. I use it for my peel and like it way better than corn meal. On the subject of kneading, I've done it by hand, stand mixer and now my prefered favorite way is 50 seconds in the food processor and done! It's quick and the results are awesome. Some may argue that but try it, you'll never go back!

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 10-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Chris
Thanks for thinking if me, I probably will never achieve those perfect round pizza
It's operator error I'm afraid
Re I don't use semolina , don't like the crunchy bits , I use rice flour it doesn't seem to burn as readily as flour.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door