Old 05-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Olive Oil Production Photo Journal

I have been buying Lebanese olive oil from Adolphos here in Bellingham. There is a website for Lebanese olive oil as well. Lebanese Olive Oil Apparently this oil is made by the brother in law of the woman who owns this Mediterranean specialty store here in town. It is light and lovely stuff, it is, however, a bit pricey for frying, but the taste is so delicate, it is nice to use the heavier stuff for the bulk of cooking...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:46 AM

Default Re: Olive Oil

As a counterpoint to your artisanal olive oil tale, there is an interesting article in this weeks' New Yorker about the widespread fraud in the olive oil business. It seems that there is so much cheap and fraudulent oil that honest small producers can't make a living at it.

Letter from Italy: Slippery Business: Reporting & Essays: The New Yorker
Old 08-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Laborer

OK, now I'm confused! I wonder what I've been using all these last few years. Would I know good olive oil if I had some? Locally there is a retail outlet that has the expensive, artisan olive oils from all over the world. Might have to resort to that.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Master Builder

The best olive oil I ever tasted was a bottle gifted to us by my family in Umbria (near Orvieto) when we visited 10 years ago - they gave us a bottle of their unfiltered oil from the local coop press. That's been my reference. Unfortunately, nothing commercial I have had since comes close.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey guys,
The timing on this thread is perfect. The FB Store now carries extra virgin olive oil from a single farm located just south of Florence, and David, El Puaco and Maver have all put their finger on exactly why our new olive oil is so cool.

The trees and a traditional stone frantoio are all located at the farm, and everything is done by hand. We found the frantoio at the olive oil festival in Bagno a Ripoli last winter and we are now stocking 1, 3 and 5 liter cans in California. This oil is wonderful -- it is unlike anything else you can find in the states.

Maver, this will be even better than the Orvietto oil you remember. As a single olive grove with an on-site frantoio, it is even better than the coop oil. We have always thought this producer made the best local oil, and it took a little time to get the inbound supply set up.

And now we are ready to go. If you order a can, give it a taste and let everyone know what you think. We are thinking of entering it in some competitions.

Here are the links to the info page and the store.

http://www.fornobravo.com/olive_oil/index.html
http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Extr...p-1-c-262.html

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Master Builder

James, that looks like a pretty good price, I'll double check when I get home but I think I pay about $30 for a liter of the oil we currently use which is certainly not the best, just more flavorful than supermarket. I'll order some soon and give feedback here when we have it.

I'm excited to try it, Marc