Old 01-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Make your own Mozarella..

OK after scrounging at a few pharmacies I have scored an eye dropper. Should be able to get a more accurate amount of rennet in the pot now. It is an incredibly small amount that is required. Must be pretty powerful stuff!

Will swing past the supermarket on the way home tonight and get another 4 litres of milk to make another batch. Hopefully this will be a softer batch. BTW does one make bocconcini in the same way as mozarella? Seems like they are closely related.

/Rossco
Old 01-21-2010, 05:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Had some problems this evening. Using 3 drops rennet the mozarella wouldn't set. Ended up dropping the temp from 105f to 98 and added some more rennet (about 3 more drops). That fixed it and curds formed well. Slightly softer texture than previous but still quite rubbery. I was not able to get it to stretchable texture so something was not quite right.

/Rossco
Old 01-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Apprentice

Rossco:

If you are having trouble stretching you may not have microwaved it long enough. If find the hotter it is the easier to stretch - it has to be so hot you almost can't hold it!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Journeyman

bocconcini
Bocconcini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Phil - will try and microwave it longer. I zapped it for 1 minute, 30 secs and then another 15 mins. Didn't want to overdo it as I read somewhere that microwaving makes it tough. Making another batch this evening so will see how it goes.

On the matter of not setting - could the 3 drops of rennet have been a bit on the light side. Maybe I will go with say 5 drops and see how that looks? Do you think that sounds reasonable. I did a test run of 3 drops of water in a teaspoon and it was a vert small amount - perhaps my dropper is on the small size. It is is one of the medicinal types that screws into the top of a bottle.

Rossco
Old 01-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatgirl View Post
Good definition!

I found this "how to" on bocconcini (there doesn't seem to be as much info around as for mozarella).

How to Make home made Mozzarella, bocconcini and stuffed Mozzarella | eHow.com

Rossco
Old 01-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Some more mozarella making links which may be of use:

LancasterOnline.com:Recipes:30-Minute Mozzarella

http://www.leeners.com/cheese-recipes-mozzarella.html

A Good Appetite: Making Mozzarella At Home

http://www.life123.com/food/cooking-...a-cheese.shtml

/Rossco

Last edited by heliman; 01-21-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

** CAUTIONARY NOTE **

Make sure that you sterilise the pot thoroughly as the curds won't set if you don't do that.

Temperature is also critical - my thermometer got stuck and gave a false reading and the temp went well beyond acceptable level so it didn't form curds.

Double check those elements so you don't, like me, have to pour 8 litres of milk down the drain!!

Rossco
Old 01-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cow's milk is the norm in the US - pretty much a necessity unless you like really tart mozzarella or happen to have a water buffalo in your back yard. But Italian mozzarella is made from buffalo milk unless marked otherwise - or you're buying from crooks.
Buffalo mozzarella watchdog closed after chief's own cheese fails purity test - Telegraph

The preceding announcement has been brought to you by the Committee for Nitpicking Trivia and the Letter Z.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 01-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, that report caught my eye too and I posted it a few minutes earlier in the "ingredients" section (where the DOP issue was being discussed). http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f19/...html#post78663 (More bad news for DOP - Mozarella)

The thing is - they set the standards so have to adhere to them. Simple as that...

Rossco