Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Artisan Ingredients (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   Lactose Intolerant Friend (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f19/lactose-intolerant-friend-5933.html)

Purple Grin 01-13-2009 07:51 AM

Lactose Intolerant Friend

Looking for some help entertaining a friend this weekend...lactose intolerant. She says she can do "real goat" feta....which should work great (even if a little expensive) on my feta/garlic/artichoke. But I usually do at least four types in a night.
Has anyone tried soy mozzarella or soy parmesan?
Any other cheese-free ideas? I'd like to surprise her with a little forethought.

Scott

Xabia Jim 01-13-2009 11:28 PM

Re: Lactose Intolerant Friend

Pesto Chicken pizza is great as a base....different veggies to mix it up?

Other goat cheeses than feta?

My sil is LI and takes pills so he can eat pizza.....

Frances 01-14-2009 02:45 AM

I think fresh Chèvre would be great, if you can get hold of it. It tastes great warm.

There was this French pancake topping I once had with Chèvre, honey and walnuts, tasted fantastic and I'll bet it would work really well on a pizza. Hmm, it'd probably be really nice with some pears on, too.

Tim F 01-14-2009 03:39 AM

I've made a few pizzas for a lactose intolerant friend and just skipped the cheese all together. I made up for it with plenty of other tasty ingredients, bacon and fresh tomato was a good combo. One other idea I had, but haven't tried yet, was to do a bechamel style sauce, maybe with a little stock or extra salt for flavour, to give that kind of creamy/sticky consistency that you get from the cheese?

mfiore 01-15-2009 05:56 PM

Give her a lactaid tablet just before her meal. This provides the lactase enzyme she is deficient of. It works fine.

Frances 01-16-2009 05:02 AM

Then there's always Focaccia - lots of olive oil and/or garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper... mmmm, makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Tim F 01-16-2009 05:29 AM

and onion... I love rosemary with thin sliced white onion and a little garlic oil

Ken524 01-16-2009 09:46 AM

We just had a lactose intolerant friend over for pizza last Saturday. He likes the typical stuff... pepperoni, mushrooms, etc. I left the cheese off (just a sprinkle of parm) and he really enjoyed it.

He ended up losing control later in the meal and grabbed a slice of mozzerella/onion/mushroom along with a few lactaids :).

JoeT62 01-16-2009 12:35 PM

I've got a friend with an allergy to cheese but he scarfs down my WFO "cheeseless" pizza quite happily. One thing: a sprinkle of Kosher salt helps make up for the loss of the salt in the cheese.

Archena 01-17-2009 06:53 AM

Hi,

I have a really weird sounding suggestion. I wasn't going to make it initially, but I saw something similar in Cook's Illustrated and decided maybe it wasn't such a wacky idea after all. Anyway, my suggestion is butternut squash. Cook's Illustrated suggests caramelizing it first to bring out the flavor. The flavor is rather mild either way, and it has a very cheeselike texture.

Mind you, I've never tried this. In fact, I don't really like squash. But I suspect it will work and should go well with anything that goes with something mild like a mozzarella. Of course, it may be a little late in the day to experiment with something like this.

Best wishes for your party tonight!