Old 02-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Home Made Mozzarella for sale?

This is a pretty good video YouTube - How to turn milk into mozzarella cheese
Old 02-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Journeyman

Tried it again this morning and finally got it to curd and separate from the whey. Had to make it hotter than 105f though, had to go to about 128f before the whey would show up.
Here is what it looked like before I took the curd out.

I took the curd out and went through the microwave process but at the end i turned out to be like cream cheese, really pasty. It is firm but more like cream cheese than mozz. Maybe I messed with it too much.

anyways, I think I will try it again next week.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I use whole milk when I make mozzarella. I haven't tried doing it with 2%. Maybe there's not enough milkfat to make good mozzarella?

Give it a try and see. I use the Ricki's recipe too, although I usually don't nuke it. I put it back in the hot water if I need to make it more pliable (asbestos hands, you know). It's easy to overwork, but usually if I overwork it it gets rubbery. Still good, just not nice and soft fresh mozz.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Journeyman

I tried it again using whole milk and still no dice. I can't get the curds to ever become one big ball. I ended up pressing it into a ball inside cheesecloth and it turned out to be nice crumbly cheese for salads and such.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well, the curd you buy to make mozzarella is sort of pressed and crumbly- maybe you just aren't getting it hot enough after? Either in the microwave or in the hot water bath?

I'll have to make a batch up (been a while) and see if I can get it to fail.

I've also heard where people use curd bits on top of pizza instead of bothering to make up the real cheese balls, so maybe you could do that! Apparently it melts in the oven heat and you'd never know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
I've also heard where people use curd bits on top of pizza instead of bothering to make up the real cheese balls, so maybe you could do that! Apparently it melts in the oven heat and you'd never know.
Tried this, it didn't melt, it just got soft and started browning. I am thinking of just purchasing the curds from here:
Fresh Mozzarella Cheeses Pizza Cheese | Fresh Stretched | Smoked | Mozzarella Curd | Mozzarella Kit & More Made Daily
at $4.59 a lb for curds vs $4 a gallon of milk it seems well worth the cost of shipping just to buy the curds and stretch them myself.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That sounds like a plan.

I'm wondering if your milk is treated in some way that makes it not form proper curds. I know that on the New England Cheesemaking site, they have a listing of local milks that are good for making cheese- and that says to me that some milks AREN'T good. Could be overly homogenized or pasteurized?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Journeyman

Could be the milk,I've tried different brands though... I can get fresh from the cow milk but that just grosses me out for some reason.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Laborer

We've just started making our own mozzarella using the 30 minute recipe. Generally have had good success, but I've had a couple of batches that were quite soft. To the point that they 'self-leveled' in a bowl. I'm by no means an expert but it could be the milk-- apparently it can vary a lot. Ultra pasteurized will not work. I've also heard that the junket rennet doesn't work as well as cheesemaking rennet, but it might be ok if you use more ( I think it is weaker).

We've used the recipe you described-- add the citric acid to the cold milk heat carefully to 90 degrees, add rennet stir, let stand for about five minutes, cut the curd into 1 inch cubes and used a slotted spoon to transfer the curds to a bowl. The mass of curds is usually quite loose and contains a lot of whey. Each time it is microwaved you kind of turn it the bowl and more whey separates. After a minute, and two or three 30 second shots in the mic you can kneed it like dough. It is pretty darn hot at this point though, rubber gloves help. Form it in a ball and place in ice water for a while to firm up.

So far we've only used whole milk and it produces a pretty nice flavored cheese. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by putzer22 View Post

...cut the curd into 1 inch cubes and used a slotted spoon to transfer the curds to a bowl.
See, I have never got it to the point where I had to cut the curds...is this a citric acid problem or a rennet problem? I have used whole milk also.