Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Artisan Ingredients

View Poll Results: Where do you get fresh basil
I keep a plant going all summer in an inside pot 8 21.05%
I keep killing indoor plants, and buy more 3 7.89%
I have a nice spot in the vegetable garden 25 65.79%
I buy bunches of fresh basil at the store 2 5.26%
I get by with dried. :-( 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Fresh Basil Plant

My basil is awesome early in the summer. Toward mid to late summer, as the plants grow, they become more peppery and even bitter. I try to keep all the blossoms trimmed off as soon as they bud, but it doen't seem to help. The plants become quite large. Any tips on keeping the leaves tender, flavorful, aromatic? Should I keep pruning back the whole plant? Does this make it worse?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I follow the same course as Ageo.....grow more than I can use and freeze the rest. No texture with the frozen if you looking for "fresh", but there is zero effect on the taste, will last for months in the freezer - fine for sauces, pesto and pizza.

As for trimming, let me first say - I'm no horticulturist. I have found the key to not getting the bitterness is to keep them trimmed and never let the plant actually bloom. You have to really keep an eye on your plants, looking closely you can tell the difference between a bloom shoot and a leaf shoot...its subtle, but definitely detectable very early. When I know my plants may soon bloom I check them every day and nip off the bloom shoots literally as soon as they appear...pain in the butt, but I've kept plants going without bitterness for almost a year. The key is NEVER letting even one bloom develope......if you do, the plant is done.

Trimming - Don't lop off whole leaf clusters.....these may look good and all the stores may sell cut basil this way....its not the best way to get you plants to bush out. Instead, cut off the large leaves individually...this usually results in another bud sprouting (which gives you an entire leaf cluster) - not just a single leaf replacement. Keep in mind, once the plant reaches the bloom stage this gets tricky - trying to keep the blooms from forming and trimming for bushiness can be a fruitless endeavor.....you eventually just let the plant grow as it wants and keep the blooms trimmed off.

Hope this helps

RT

Last edited by RTflorida; 06-19-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
I don't know about children, but slugs LOVE basil!
They like beer too...the slugs I mean...and it will eliminate the problem...just a small shallow dish of beer will do the trick!
Dutch
Old 06-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchoven View Post
They like beer too...the slugs I mean...and it will eliminate the problem...just a small shallow dish of beer will do the trick!
Dutch
Or a ring of salt around the plant or pot.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 06-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You want me to share my beer with the slugs??!!

I think I'd rather let them have the basil...

Old 06-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Get 'em drunk, and then hit 'em.
James

Old 06-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
You want me to share my beer with the slugs??!!

I think I'd rather let them have the basil...
Frances
Sorry...I forgot where you lived!!! All the beer there is fit to drink...here in the US we have some that maybe the slugs wouldn't...
Go with the salt then!
Best
Dutch
Old 08-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
I've never frozen leaves, but I froze basil and olive oil puree last year...
Pesto, with the nuts and cheese, shouldn't be frozen... this is the system I use. I use small canning bottles for storage. (But the ice cube idea is interesting and I should try that!) When thawed I add nuts and cheese to finish the Pesto.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Serf

I grew thai basil this year and it was great...but jack frost snuck on my this year and my plants froze....hopefully i can recoop some seeds thought and start some new plants.