Old 03-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Flour Storage

George,

I think your calculations are correct. I go through flour pretty fast, so I don't usually take extraordinary measures to protect it. A food grade container with an airtight lid is your best bet, or into the freezer in scaled amounts. Ziplocs (freezer type) are very good for this as XJ points out. With the exceptions of whole wheat and rye, bread or AP flour shouldn't smell like anything. There are natural oils in flour that can go rancid. If it does, you'll know it soon enough.

Jim
Old 03-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Master Builder

"There are "panty moth traps" available"

Oh I can just go places with this typo - but I will show restraint
Old 03-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh good grief. I looked and looked at it before I posted. You'd think I would have noticed that one!

"panty moths" indeed. I'm sure Mr. Bingham doesn't have that problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Don't worry egalecki, just funnin' ya!

-
Old 01-11-2009, 01:23 AM
Peasant

Hi
I also brought a large quantity of Caputo flour and have stored over half of it in the freezer.

Anybody know how long will it last in sealed containers in the fridge and also how do you know when it goes off?

Thanks

Ryh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Master Builder

One way I have found that works to keep the eggs from hatching into larvae is to place a few dried leaves of Bay leaf (aka California Laurel, Bay, California Bay, Mountain Laurel, Myrtle, Oregon Myrtle etc.) in with the flour when sealing it up. Shilling, the spice seller uses California Laurel some of which used to be harvested in the Santa Cruz Mts where I used too live. They sell it as Bay Leaf. I have successfully had flour keep without refrigeration using this trick for several years. After time some of the flavor of the leaves will be imparted to the flour but this is not disagreeable to most.

This is a trick I picked up during my years cruising on a small sailboat. And we used to place small branches of dried leaves in the backs of lockers and cupboards and we rarely had problem with moths and weevils and other such vermin. I have successfully transplanted a small tree from California to where I now live as I have found it quite useful to have around. No need for those who live in California, Oregon and Washington to buy it in the stores (although one needs a permit to harvest commercially) for ones own use one can gather all one needs along the roadways in the coastal mtns.

Wiley
Old 01-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wiley,
Do you have any pics of a California Laurel leaf or bush/tree? I've no clue what they look like. Certainly not like an English Laurel. Perhaps I'll google it or wikipedia it.
Thanks for the idea.
G.

-
Old 01-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Master Builder

George, here are some pictures. This tree is about five years old. We transplanted it from my folks bit of woods in the Santa Cruz Mountains above Soquel about four years ago. It is about twelve ft tall and perhaps the trunk is a bit over an inch and one half in diameter at the base. This tree has grown pretty much in the open and so has branches near its base. The specimens in the wild can get quite large. If in doubt simply crush a few of the leaves in your hand and give it a sniff, the smell is very strong and distinctive.

The weather here has been misty/foggy/rainy and not good for photos and that's why I didn't get right back.

I don't want to get in the business of supplying leaves but if someone really wants some, PM me with your address and I'll send some via the mail (I wonder how many laws that will be in violation of?). I probably should limit that offer to forum members in the US. I remember well the hassle I got arriving in New Zealand with several pounds of dried cinnamon bark (stick) in my luggage. The customs guy was sure he had found a drugs smuggler.
Wiley
Attached Thumbnails
Flour Storage-bay-leaves-aka-california-laurel-.jpg   Flour Storage-bay-tree.jpg  
Old 02-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Serf

Cambro containers; up to 22 quarts in size.
You can order them online from Surfas. Alternately most restaurant supply stores and even Smart&Final carry them.

We store all of our flours, pasta, legumes and rice in these and no longer have a pantry moth problem.