Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Artisan Ingredients (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   Favorite Cheeses? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f19/favorite-cheeses-3490.html)

Xabia Jim 03-10-2008 02:43 AM

Favorite Cheeses?

I used to buy low moisture mozarella in bricks for my pizzas since I liked a nice stringy texture to the cheese on top. I'd suppliment that with a sharp cheddar and parmesan. .... Probably a more of a typical american pie pizza.

More recently we've gone to a buffalo mozzarella and used some goat cheeses too. I also like romano more than the parms now.

I like fontina and esrom but have not tried them on pizza yet.

Anyone found some other interesting cheeses or combinations?

Frances 03-10-2008 04:35 AM

Re: Favorite Cheeses?

I use Sprinz on my Pizzas, which is a kind of Swiss version of Parmesan (though the Italians would probably disagree)... mainly because I read an article on how some of the cows were kept for producing parmesan, and I know what conditions Swiss cows live in :) Well, that and I like the taste.

Do you ever use Gorgonzola for Pizza?

sarah h 03-10-2008 06:28 AM

HTML Code:

Somewhere, I have a recipe for a pizza with a whole wheat crust and a pear & blue cheese topping - sounds like heaven to me and I plan to try it once my oven is back in business. The rest of the family, however, is vehemently opposed. Just means it will be all mine! :D

I was just thinking while typing this - wasn't Dave going to make his own cheese for pizza? Wonder how that's working out ... Dave ... ???

Xabia Jim 03-10-2008 02:00 PM

Blue Gorgonzola Stilton...love 'em all.

Unfortunately the boss does not...even complains about cross contamination with the knife.

I get my revenge 'cause I don't do mushrooms or asparagus (unless it's asparagus guacamole...that's good stuff!)

XJ

Frances 03-10-2008 03:08 PM

Hehe, what would we do without our better halves...?
In my case eat more salmon, shrimps, aubergine, gorgonzola...

That was the one I was thinking of btw, blue cheese and pears, sounds delicious!

mmmhumous 05-16-2008 05:30 AM

For pizza I plum for Gorgonzola or Red Windsor (it's a very stong tasting cheddar mixed and smoked with port - and it's bright pink - looks great on pizzas too):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._bg_051306.jpg

Orrin Dean 05-16-2008 09:38 AM

I think I had gorgonzola on a pizza with artichoke hearts, kalamta olives and dried tomatoes. And an olive oil and garlic base.

It was kinda sweet and sharp.

asudavew 05-16-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarah h (Post 26134)
HTML Code:

Somewhere, I have a recipe for a pizza with a whole wheat crust and a pear & blue cheese topping - sounds like heaven to me and I plan to try it once my oven is back in business. The rest of the family, however, is vehemently opposed. Just means it will be all mine! :D

I was just thinking while typing this - wasn't Dave going to make his own cheese for pizza? Wonder how that's working out ... Dave ... ???

Hi Sarah.
I did make a lb of Mozzarella.
I used 1 gallon of whole milk.
Plus:
Rennet
Lipase
Salt
&
Calcium Chloride.

The cheese worked out fine, but the taste... odd
I think it was the Lipase that I added.
It's not required(only for flavor)
I didn't like it.
I am going to try a batch without it.
Sounds like a weekend project!
Woohoo.

I let you know how this one turns out.

egalecki 05-16-2008 11:17 AM

I've made mozzarella too, but not with lipase. I had wondered about ordering some, since the product, while good, was not as AMAZING as I had hoped (not that I was having inflated expectations or anything... :rolleyes: ). I was also using the method where you microwave the curds and stretch, etc, but I think next time I'll just burn my hands in the hot water instead. It's too easy to overcook the cheese and then it's not soft. Still edible, just not soft. It does make a pretty good pizza topping! (now, if anyone has any water buffaloes around, that's the ticket!)

I saw something about using a culture to make the mozzarella- I'll look some more for that infomation, I think it'll add better flavor.

egalecki 05-16-2008 11:23 AM

ok, here's a link to some culturable starter for mozzarella.

Gourmet Cheeses, Books, Kits, Cheese Parties, and Cheese Supplies - Re-culturable Thermophillic

I won't have time to try it anytime soon (something about an oven...) but maybe someone else can give it a whirl?