Old 10-08-2009, 04:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Cheese other than mozzarella

Oh, and with garlic and EVOO
Old 10-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Apprentice

We had a pizza with bechamel sauce and goat cheese last night that was pretty tasty.

* Edit: With butternut squash and fresh sage...

Last edited by papavino; 10-08-2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Updating recipe
Old 10-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPolice View Post
PizzaPOLICE ON DUTY!.. Hot dogs? Go stand in the corner with those pineapple people...

/
too funny! I just spewed coffee all over my laptop. but I will take Mark's word for it that it's tasty.

I have an old Todd English recipe that I've loved for years. Fig jam (made with chopped dried figs, shallot, balsamic, rosemary, red wine, chx. stock and sugar, reduced. Easy enough, but you can probably use jarred fig spread, too) chopped fresh rosemary, evoo, garlic, proscuitto and GORGONZOLA. Too yummy.

I second the goat cheese on anything including cardboard. That tartness is just such a good foil for salty or sweet or rich ingredients.

I have a package of Trader Joes goat's milk mozzarella in my fridge now that I'm anxious to try.

And slightly off topic, does anyone have any tips for buying smoked mozz? the one time I tried it the stuff I got was beyond disgusting and made my whole dish inedible, but people seem to like it so much that I have to think it was the brand I used...?
Old 10-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by papavino View Post
We had a pizza with bechamel sauce and goat cheese last night that was pretty tasty.

* Edit: With butternut squash and fresh sage...
mmmmmm!
I was thinking of squash/goat cheese just the other day, but I couldn't decide on how I should prep the squash. Diced or sliced and roasted first? What did you do?
Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I would vote for cubed and roasted for the squash. Probably smaller cubes so they could go straight on the pizza.

RE: smoked mozz. You are definitely right Splatgirl! It can be pretty disgusting. (Smoked provolone seems mcuh more palatable to me!) A key is don't use much! It needs to be sparse. That way its grossness is minimized.

One more thought on cheese. I am not aware of any REAL cheese that is not pizza-friendly (except for Limburger which might result in evacuating the county you live in as the result of a perceived terrorist attack!)

Jay
Old 10-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Apprentice

Yeah, we roasted the squash first. Thinly sliced. It really was delicious.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Roasted squash ought to do well with creme fraiche, or mascarpone also. I keep wanting to add something as a zinger - maybe some candied ginger...

Jay
Old 10-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Journeyman

splatgirl-

If you think that's funny, check this review.
http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26128

Wherever we go, I actively seek out great pizza. Usually, they do not disappoint. Unfortunately, I had to scald these posers.

Put your mug down...
Old 10-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I have a package of Trader Joes goat's milk mozzarella in my fridge now that I'm anxious to try.
Guess Im gonna have to make a run to trader joe,,, that sounds good
Old 10-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Journeyman

I've been obsessed with this squash recipe I saw a few days ago that was basically just sliced roasted squash dressed with a vinagrette of lime juice, a dab of honey, minced chiles, garlic, evoo, s&p, and chopped cilantro. Trying to decide/figure out if it would work on pizza...maybe with the goat cheese ala papavino? Hot chiles and lime juice on pizza might be pushing it.

re: the goats milk mozz...I have high hopes, as me and fresh cows milk cheeses don't really get along. I used to feel kind of sorry for myself about this when it came to pizza, but it turns out just about anything that's good with mozz is even better with goat cheese. Which makes me wonder about the pizza-worthyness of the drunken goat that is one of my favorite eating cheeses...