Old 09-21-2007, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Caputo flour weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
I'm confused by these numbers. Your scale cannot be off by that factor.
I read this three times before I understood it. My bad. The EMPTY bag weighs 8.2 grams, I should have said.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:11 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: caputo flour report

Aww, takes me right back to chemlab. I really should have a better scale. Ours is digital but only measures in 5g increments. Fine for flour and water (I place the entire mixing bowl on the scale and zero it, then add flour until my 500 or 1000g target, then 650 or 325g of water), but useless for salt and yeast. I really ought to go back to a volume measurement for salt because of the lack of precision when measuring 10g at a time. I drizzle the salt on until it just tilts over to 10g and assume that's pretty close (but if I go over I have no idea how far over I am). A nice balance like Dave's would be perfect.

Dave, You're really going to need a refrigerated counter space for your dough right next to the oven, large bull nosed granite slab countertop just like the pazzo pizzaiolo.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:36 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
<snip> This is the scale that I'm using at the moment. <snip>
Definitely the 'old school' look.

J W
Old 09-21-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maver View Post
You're really going to need a refrigerated counter space for your dough right next to the oven, large bull nosed granite slab countertop just like the pazzo pizzaiolo.
Here's the ticket:

Think it'd work outdoors?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Laborer

I have the same problem with the 5g increments as Maver. I just dribble the salt and yeast into the container until it just barely holds at 10g. I've made some pretty nice dough that way but also wish I could be more accurate. I have one of those triple beam scales that I use in my winemaking but never remember to get it out. I forget how much technology I have, ready to mobilize for better pizza making projects.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

I have my share of Ludite moments, but I think pizza and bread dough are one of the areas where you need to stay modern. My Escali scale is perfect and it isn't expensive.

Maybe we should add the Escali to the FB Store. If Mike, Mark and David each buy one, that's three already. :-) What do you think.

On a somewhat related topic, I used to like older cars, and even drove an MGB (the one with chrome bumbers). It was great. But with all the technology advances around clean burning engines and better MPG, sometimes newer is better.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I use this scale http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?id=4337
It goes up to 6 lbs/3000g and measures in 1g or .1oz increments.

I think I should have bought the cheaper one
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...jsp?id=4319RED beacuase it goes to 11 lbs. I sometimes max out the 6lb when making big batches of bread.

The one I own has a special feature that lets you convert/measure cups or tsps. You type in the number of what you are measuring based on a chart and it converts for you...I really never use that feature...

Drake
Old 09-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Master Builder

What model of Escali Scale might you carry? I think it would be an excellente addition to the FB store.

You could put me on the list for one but based on my good but inconsistent dough results, I think I'll be going out this weekend to buy a scale!!!

As for me, my 63 Triumph remains my preferred daily driver! I thought nothing modern could come close to replacing it until I a friend gave me the oppurtunity to drive his Honda S2000 like I stole it. Can't stop progress.

Christo

Old 09-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Count me in, guess that makes 5.
I'm in the same boat as Christo. Very good crust, but a little different each time. Just not getting the hydration spot on every time.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Here is the scale. It's called the Escali Primo, in Chrome. I will contact their rep again, and let you know when we have them in inventory and in the store. On this type of item, we just charge the retail price, and we get a discount from the producer.

More to come.
James
Attached Thumbnails
caputo flour report-escali.jpg