Old 03-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default One more thing

Back to Luis's comment, I agree that chilling your dough can give it more time to develop and improve the texture and flavor. You can even do the "ice water" technique and get the dough right into the refrigerator for atleast 24 hours.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Apprentice

I currently retard my dough in refrigerator for a day. Is they're a maximum number od adys you can keep it in the fridge? Would like to able to store for 3 days (or more) rather than freezing.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Dough Retardation

Richard,

I have retarded dough for up to three days without a problem. Most of the books say this is okay. Beyond that limit, I'd freeze it.

Jim
Old 07-25-2006, 01:05 AM
Serf

Default Caputo 55kg bag

I'm curious to know approx. how many 10"-12" Neapolitan pizza doughs a 55lb. bag of Caputo Flour will make? Anyone have a clue??
Old 07-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Serf

Is ths like how many programmers does it take to change a light bulb (answer: none - it's hardware issue).

The formula I use for my dough, starts with 1 pound of flour and yields 4 10-12" pizzas. So my guess would be 220 pizzas - That will be one big pizza party.

I have no personal experience with this flour so other that do have experience with it should speak up.

Tom
Old 07-25-2006, 01:26 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I divide a dough batch with 500g flour into four balls. I am hydrating the dough to 65%, which is 325g water, plus about 10g salt and 10g yeast (about 2 tsp each). That makes four dough balls of about 210g, which is within the VPN specification of 180g-250g dough balls.

The big bag is 25Kg, which makes 50 500g batches, or roughly 200 pizzas a bag.

Make sense?

Basically, this is the same math as Tom, but in grams, not pounds.
James

Old 08-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Peasant

We are using 1.75 kilos of Caputo for a batch and that yields approx. ten 9.5oz dough balls. Works perfect everytime.
James,
How do you use 10g of yeast for 500g of flour?? Is this a mis-print?? We are using 3g of fresh yeast for 1750g of flour and it's a perfect crust always. I can't imagine what that much yeast would do to my recipe.
I read in the forum that Caputo is difficult to work with and I can't see why. We just had a reunion a few weeks ago and we went thru a 50lb of Caputo 00, all mixed and kneaded by hand. We had absolutely no failures and all the pizza got eaten, save a few test pizzas as were learning.
Good forum guys, I have learned alot.

Tom in PA
Old 08-02-2006, 05:45 AM
Serf

Wow, only 3g!

for 1750g of flour?

If that is true, that means your yeast is 0.17%, or less that 1/10th of the formulas I usually see, which is 60,2,2 where water is 60% of flour wgt, salt is 2% of flour wgt, and yeast is 2% of flour wgt

so if you started with 1750g of flour I would have thought the yeast would be 35g. so I'm amazed at only 3g - am I missing something? When you say "g" your meaning grams - right? so I'm assuming your being pretty precise (like with a scale, not eyeballing it)

So now you got me really curious, I'm going to have to try it with the yeast cut way back like that.

Always willing to try a new formula, and this really caught my attention.

Tom in IA
Old 08-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Peasant

Tom,

The yeast weight is correct and we do weigh it. Not a misprint, only 3g for 1.75kilos of flour.
We learned this recipe from a master pizza maker from Naples who has two shops in the Pittsburgh area. We took lessons from him and we are using his recipe for the dough, which as I say always comes out fantastic....and we are raw amateurs only having made dough for the last three weeks, never before.
If we can do it, anyone can.
Let me know how it turns out.

Tom in PA
Old 08-03-2006, 03:32 AM
Journeyman

Tom, James:

I use to use pre ferment (natural leavened dough) in the pizzas dough, this gives a different and excellent taste to it.

However, I used IDY as long as cake yeast in the dough, too.

The quantities of IDY could vary strongly when referred to a dough management.

When using a polish or when the dough is lefted resting in the refrigerator, the IDY quantities could down as little as a pinch between two fingers.

Tom, could you, please, clarify your explanation about your pizza management (how much time of knead/mix, resting, shaping, proving, filling and baking)?

Thanks

Luis