Old 12-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: caputo!, CAPuto!!, CAPUTO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Dave,

You sold me, I'm going to order the 50 lb bag this week. One question for you though. What type of yeast did you use?

thanks

Richie
I buy the vacuumed sealed double pack at Sam's. Fleshman's I think. It's instant and works pretty well. I keep the unopened pack in the freezer, and I put the opened pack in a Ziploc, and then I put it in the freezer too. My last batch lasted a year or so. And it was just as good at the end as it was in the beginning!

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 12-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Two more addicts. Ahhhhh. :-)

James
You do like pushing that soft white power!

It's good stuff!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Laborer

Is that dry active or "cake fresh" yeast. Sorry, just want to make it perfect.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dry active Richie!

The stuff in the little envelopes, but much cheaper when you buy the bulk!

Let me know how it turns out!

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Peasant

Dave,
Welcome to world of satisfied Caputo users. As you have seen once you try the best you rarely go back. The recipe we use specifies fresh yeast and we use 3-4g for 1780g of flour. We have found that this gives us a good product to work with.
As our pizza master taught us, buy the very best ingredients you can afford and you will not regret the results it produces. Even if Caputo would double in price, I would still buy it rather than compromise the pizza that we have worked so hard to perfect.
Everyone we have served the pizza to over the past two years has raved about the crust. That speaks for itself.

Good Luck,

Tom in PA
Old 12-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm View Post
The recipe we use specifies fresh yeast and we use 3-4g for 1780g of flour. We have found that this gives us a good product to work with.
Can you expand on this?

I know nothing about fresh yeast or where to find it, and I would love to know your recipe.

Thanks,

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Journeyman

I have e-mailed Italy to ask if there is a distributor in Turkey. It was molinocaputo of Naples. Is that the correct company?

No reply yet............

Worst case I may be able to get a red.cross parcel (or 3) brought in from UK.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Inishta,
Straight from a bag:

ANTIMO CAPUTO srl
INDUSTRIA MOLITORIA
Corso S. Giovanni a Teduccio, 55
80146 Napoli ITALIA
Tel. 081/7520566
FARINE CAPUTO
Old 12-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Journeyman

Thanks RT..............that's the one. Just need to wait for the answer. Fingers crossed.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
I know nothing about fresh yeast or where to find it, and I would love to know your recipe.
Fresh yeast is cakes of compressed yeast, that used to be found in the dairy case of every supermarket. It was in little foil wrapped squares, and had a limited shelf life. It's no longer packed for retail sale, although it's still used in the baking industry. The last time I saw fresh yeast for sale in a supermarket was in Rome, Italy.

It is still sold in big blocks to commercial bakers. If there is an artisinal baker in your community, you may get them to sell you small quantities. The consensus seems to be that it just isn't worth the hassle when instant yeast works so well.