Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Artisan Ingredients (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   Can Caputo flour be used to make pasta (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f19/can-caputo-flour-used-make-pasta-3641.html)

Rob1974 03-27-2008 03:18 PM

Can Caputo flour be used to make pasta

Can the caputo flour be used to make fresh pasta?

Thanks

asudavew 03-27-2008 07:34 PM

Re: Can Caputo flour be used to make pasta

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1974 (Post 27710)
Can the caputo flour be used to make fresh pasta?

Thanks

yes...
no..

I dunno!

But I am sure it wouldn't be a problem!

try it and let us know!!!!!

RTflorida 03-27-2008 09:19 PM

Worth a try...can't believe I have not thought to try; I love pasta almost as much as pizza. Maybe this weekend.

RT

gjbingham 03-27-2008 09:32 PM

I was going to say no, but I pulled out a book - the Pasta Bible by Tuebner, Rizzi and Leng. A great book - I highly recommend it if you like making homemade pasta. It states that white wheat flour, type 00 is the most commonly used flour for making past in Italy. Sounds like Caputo to me!

Many pastas are made from high durham wheat flours, semolina or others. You can certainly also make it from whole wheat flour and all purpose flours.

Rob1974 03-28-2008 02:56 AM

The reason I am asking is that I am concerned there may be too much gluten in this pasta for fresh egg pasta. I called customer service and they told me to post here and someone knowledgeable from the company would post something.

Perhaps someone who has actually made pasta with the flour could let me know if it works.

CanuckJim 03-28-2008 07:17 AM

Rob,

Go to the main Caputo site in Italy. You'll see quickly that they make a range of flours, one of which is for pizza and another for pasta. Different blends and gluten amounts I suspect.

Jim

Rob1974 03-28-2008 09:36 AM

Thanks,

A very interesting site.

Is the flour sold on this site the OO extra blu?

That's what the packaging looks like.

Rob1974 03-31-2008 12:59 PM

I guess no one can answer my question!

CanuckJim 03-31-2008 02:31 PM

Rob,

The Caputo flour FB sells is the pizza flour in the blue bag.

Jim

james 03-31-2008 02:50 PM

I can clear this up. :-)

First off, you can use the Caputo flour for pasta, and it would be a good addition to homemade pasta using Durum flour (Grano Duro), but the Caputo itself is not Durum flour -- that really nice, grainy, yellow flour that you use for pasta and Pane Pugliese. Hope that is helpful.

On the flour itself, the 55lb bags are called Pizzeria flour, where the 2.2lb (1kg) bags (also blue) are slightly (just slightly) less strong. I've cook with both side by side, and for me, it is difficult to tell the difference.

James