Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Artisan Ingredients (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   Call for Pizza Ingredients (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f19/call-pizza-ingredients-308.html)

james 11-03-2005 07:04 PM

Call for Pizza Ingredients

We are collecting a group of imported pizza ingredients that we are going to provide through the Forno Bravo web site. Here is what we have found so far:

Caputo Pizza Flour
San Marzano tomatoes
EVOO
Italian anchovies in olive oil (glass jar) -- excellent
Italian tuna in olive oil (glass jar) -- excellent
Salt cured capers -- excellent
Sicilian oregano on the branch
Pesto

Is there anything else that you are using that you would recommend to a friend for the perfect gourmet pizza (excluding products that need refrigeration)?

Let me know.
James

janprimus 11-04-2005 10:30 AM

Oops

I am slightly embarassed, I had to google EVOO.

Frankie G 11-04-2005 11:10 AM

Where's the Cheese?

Frankie G

james 11-04-2005 11:47 AM

I would love to do cheese, but we aren't ready to handle refrigerated items yet. Give me a little time. :-)

If we could find a great supplier who would drop ship directly, that would be good.

My research so far has yielded a domestic mozzarella company that charges more for shipping than the cheese, so-so domestic at Costco, a pretty good domestic at Trader Joe's and the occassional imported Mozzarella di Bufala at Joe's (which is good), and an imported Mozzarella at a cheese shop in Healdsburg, which is good, but pricey.

Our daughers are funny. They roll their eyes when we buy domestic mozzarella, and keep reminding us that it isn't "real".

James

james 11-04-2005 11:48 AM

Frankie,

I see you are in NorCal, with what looks like a Scott oven. Where are you located? We're in Healdsburg.

James

jengineer 11-05-2005 07:13 PM

Frankie is in

Lathrop, near Stockton, check out what he really does for a living!

aikitarik 11-08-2005 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james
Our daughers are funny. They roll their eyes when we buy domestic mozzarella, and keep reminding us that it isn't "real".

Why not make your own? It may not be "real" since you can't get the water buffalo milk, but it's extremely easy (takes about 30 minutes), TONS of fun (especially for kids), and darned GOOD! :)

I can dig up a reference if you're interested.

Tarik

Frankie G 11-09-2005 09:51 AM

Hey James,

I do work in Lathrop, I sell Pepperoni!

But I live in Eastern, Contra Costa County....

james 11-09-2005 11:26 AM

Tell us more. Do you use your own pepperoni on your pizzas? Do you sell it over the Internet?

How good is it???

James

paulages 11-09-2005 05:49 PM

fresh mozzerella

Quote:

Why not make your own? It may not be "real" since you can't get the water buffalo milk, but it's extremely easy (takes about 30 minutes), TONS of fun (especially for kids), and darned GOOD!
could you elaborate? a thread telling how to home make mozzeralla sounds like a good reference to me!