Old 01-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Buffalo mozzarella and toxic waste dumping in Naples

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimemerson View Post
...What I am worried about is the San Marzano tomatoes as well as the mozzarella. I read that the buffalo mozzarella is customarily not pasteurized, and that pasteurization of the buffalo milk will make it safe. I can't say for certain, but I am under the impression that non-pasteurized milk products aren't allowed in the U.S. so I don't know what I've been buying. Do they even make any pasteurized mozzarella?

... it is highly toxic, not just household garbage. It's chemicals. Just read the last chapter and you won't look at a city garbage truck the same way again.

The chemicals are indeed the main problem here, rather than microbial contamination. Pasteurization won't do anything to help you there; it's just a heat treatment of the milk prior to cheesemaking to kill off any unwanted bacteria, typically to about 165-185F.

As far as unpasteurized products in the US, that's not at all true. Unpasteurized products must be labeled as such, but are definitely available. Imported cheeses are often unpasteurized, and a number of cheesemakers here are adopting more traditional, artisinal methods including the use of unpasteurized milk. In fact, a few years back the regulations were actually relaxed slightly to allow plain raw milk to be sold commercially directly to the public. Try looking in your local food co-op (if you're lucky enough to have a good one in your area), botique and high-end grocers, and import stores. You should find at least some selection of appropriate cheese. The Vermont and California cheeses are not perfect, but they're getting better over time. I've read pretty good reviews of Bubalus cheese in California recently; if you can't find it locally, they deliver via ups next-day, although with that shipping it will cost almost as much as the Italian stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.