Old 01-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Buffalo mozzarella and toxic waste dumping in Naples

This sounds very ominous indeed...

Does anyone have any more recent (than 2008) info on this like reports, findings and "official" publications?

Rossco
Old 01-20-2010, 04:55 AM
Laborer

A lot of the garbage strike trash is cleaned up. At least the bags that were but to the street. During the strike the piles were of garbage were 10-15 feet high, they showed video of the rats going through the bags. There was plenty of news coverage of the multiple fires every day, because people started setting the trash piles on fire to get rid of it.

While I did not see any huge piles of garbage, I did see plenty of trash. The streets were all dirty, there was construction debris all over, probably because of the economy a lot of construction projects shut down. naples just had a very dirty feel to it.

But when I drove 30 minutes away, it got much better. Especially as I headed towards the Amalfi coast. That place is still stunningly beautiful. And it has to be one of the best mountain drives I have ever done. That is if you enjoy driving a manual transmission car and enjoy hours of hairpin turns back and forth with mountains on one side and the ocean on the other. Just beautiful!

Going in the other direction from Naples was kind of sad. The sides of the highways were scatter with trash. Every field that is not actively farmed has become a dumping ground for household appliances, vehicles, and trash.

I hope they get it handled soon. But I have my doubts because when you speak to the people they seem to accept it as the way it is and I get the feeling they think nothing can be done about it. I know they do not like it, but I think they feel there is nothing they can do.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:21 AM
Apprentice

You Tube has a few videos of the garbage from a year, two years ago. YouTube - Naples garbage crisis
I've seen the resulting pile up of garbage during a hauler's strike in NYC, but New York has nothing on this mess.
And I too would love a good update on the present situation. And the status of the foods coming from the area.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:00 AM
Laborer

I remember one of the strikes in NYC. I was living in the Bronx and my friends and I, being young kids, thought it was cool to pull the bags of garbage from the sidewalks and block the streets. That escalated because in the beginning they would send garbage trucks to take the garbage from the street, so then other people started doing it. Until it got to the point where they realized what was happening and just sent workers to pile it back on the sidewalks.

Wow. My kids really have it made. They never have to play with garbage.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Apprentice

Another reason to buy local.

Tom
Old 01-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trockyh View Post
Another reason to buy local.
Yes, I full agree! It is surprising just how much good local produce is avaiable. For example, the local canned roma tomatoes are as a good as (if not a bit better - dare I say that) ... than the San Marzano DOPs. I paid $10 /can for DOP and buy canned romas here for about $1.20. Not worth the difference in price in my view - even more so now with this toxic business going on!

Still want to try Caputo though - to see what all the fuss is about..

Rossco
Old 01-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Apprentice

Rossco,

I've tried both the San Marzano tomatoes and the Caputo flour. They are both really good, but I think the tomatoes from my garden are just as good and I know the soil they are grown in. I would be real interested in knowing about the flour and where the wheat is grown.

Tom
Old 01-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, I won't be buying any more DOP tomatoes. I have been able to get some really good soil and add dynamic lifter specially formulated for tomatoes and grow in pots with good results.

The Caputo is another story but I am determined to try it ... soon I hope!!

Rossco
Old 01-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Apprentice

Regarding the flour and the toxic waste dumping, I am not worried that the flour is a problem simply because I don't believe the wheats come from Italy at all. It is very likely American or Canadian. If I am wrong about that, I still don't think it's from Campania, though.
As for trying Caputo vs. any other Italian 00, King Arthur's mock 00, or anything else, there is a notable difference and while it may or may not be to any individual's tastes, it is closer to what I remember eating in Naples over 45 years ago. In a sense, if you know what you are going for, you may have to experiment till you get what you want. If you don't really know what it is you are trying to attain, the difference may be moot. Still, I would - and have - try as many different types of flours but using the same procedures and remaining ingredients and do a series of tests.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Apprentice

Caputo prides itself on its blending formula to attain the characteristics needed for the product and it's ability to provide that blend consistently. That is why their flours have a very short shelf life for the characteristic it is famous for in comparison to domestic brands in the US.