Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Artisan Ingredients (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   brand of flour (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f19/brand-flour-2570.html)

Burntroof ofmouth 09-15-2007 06:45 PM

brand of flour
 
Today i spent few hours pre- drying my FB stone. Then went to a few super markets and a few itailian food stores, no tipo-00. So i bought King arthur ap flour now reading posts i should have got, bread flour should i go up to store and get KA bread flour, so much in new york to choose from seems like i em over my head with choices, was looking to get dough made tonite and ready for football tomoorw ? Sauce was a whole differnt prob but i had tons of choices of san mar imported stamped cans , butt with lots additives in it and basil. Any help would be nice

barbarian 09-15-2007 06:56 PM

Re: brand of flour
 
Take a trip to NYC .. chelsea market (the indoor market) will have everything you need they also carry fresh yeast ..
the store name is .....I forgot :-) but it's the only Italian Imports store in the market ...
BTW real san marzano tomatoes are hard to find even in Italy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burntroof ofmouth (Post 15249)
Today i spent few hours pre- drying my FB stone. Then went to a few super markets and a few itailian food stores, no tipo-00. So i bought King arthur ap flour now reading posts i should have got, bread flour should i go up to store and get KA bread flour, so much in new york to choose from seems like i em over my head with choices, was looking to get dough made tonite and ready for football tomoorw ? Sauce was a whole differnt prob but i had tons of choices of san mar imported stamped cans , butt with lots additives in it and basil. Any help would be nice


Burntroof ofmouth 09-15-2007 07:48 PM

Re: brand of flour and tomatoes
 
The brand of tomatoes i got was called Cento . Has the stamp with numbers from italy. Can says San marzano peeled tomatoes, pomodoro san marzano dell'agro sarnese-nocerino,D.O.P , imported product of italy. Ingredients : plum peeled tomatoes, san marzano, tomato puree san marzano, basil leaf citric acid and salt ;(. Well i live on long island work in nyc so i will keep my EYE open.

asudavew 09-15-2007 08:46 PM

Re: brand of flour
 
I live in the middle of NOWHERE...


But we do have a Sam's club, and they have a 25 pound bag of bread flour.......

Hi gluten

Makes decent pies in the regular oven.

Still gonna order some Caputo for my first pizza night in the WFO.

barbarian 09-15-2007 10:40 PM

Re: brand of flour and tomatoes
 
I know the brand but I never tried it .. the DOP marking is a good sign it's a certification but from the label description looks like they mix plain plum tomatoes with some s. marzano.. It's a small area near naples so they don't produce too many tomatoes sometimes they cheat using tomatoes from the same seed but not grown in the s. marzano region which makes a big difference in the taste and texture .. I will try the cento tomatoes my local supermarket does carry it


Quote:

Originally Posted by Burntroof ofmouth (Post 15256)
The brand of tomatoes i got was called Cento . Has the stamp with numbers from italy. Can says San marzano peeled tomatoes, pomodoro san marzano dell'agro sarnese-nocerino,D.O.P , imported product of italy. Ingredients : plum peeled tomatoes, san marzano, tomato puree san marzano, basil leaf citric acid and salt ;(. Well i live on long island work in nyc so i will keep my EYE open.


barbarian 09-15-2007 10:50 PM

Re: brand of flour
 
If I recall correctly the Type 00 flour is actually lower gluten than the bread flour we get here in the states , believe it or not what makes the napolitan pizza so superior is the crappy city water they have coming down the pipes:D which is also what makes their espresso taste so good
it's kind of like water going through a water softener

Quote:

Originally Posted by asudavew (Post 15263)
I live in the middle of NOWHERE...


But we do have a Sam's club, and they have a 25 pound bag of bread flour.......

Hi gluten

Makes decent pies in the regular oven.

Still gonna order some Caputo for my first pizza night in the WFO.


Burntroof ofmouth 09-16-2007 07:58 AM

Re: brand of flour
 
Well its my 1st shot at the fb stone ,so i will use what i have, and try to get better stuff as time goes on . Any suggestions on sauce if i should pre cook or what to add or what not ?

barbarian 09-16-2007 09:30 AM

Re: brand of flour
 
never precook pizza sauce just the crushed tomatoes a bit of salt and you're done drizzle olive oil on the tomato and put your toppings.... less is more



Quote:

Originally Posted by Burntroof ofmouth (Post 15275)
Well its my 1st shot at the fb stone ,so i will use what i have, and try to get better stuff as time goes on . Any suggestions on sauce if i should pre cook or what to add or what not ?


asudavew 09-16-2007 11:18 AM

Re: brand of flour
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbarian (Post 15272)
If I recall correctly the Type 00 flour is actually lower gluten than the bread flour we get here in the states , believe it or not what makes the napolitan pizza so superior is the crappy city water they have coming down the pipes:D which is also what makes their espresso taste so good
it's kind of like water going through a water softener

In that case it should work well for me. We have some of the hardest water in the world. So bad in fact, that it took me 2 years before I couldn't taste it anymore. (yes it has it's own flavor, and floaties too.):eek:

But it doesn't bother me anymore. Most people never drink it and we have water stores everywhere around town.

asudavew 09-16-2007 11:19 AM

Re: brand of flour
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbarian (Post 15277)
never precook pizza sauce just the crushed tomatoes a bit of salt and you're done drizzle olive oil on the tomato and put your toppings.... less is more


Actually I like to simmer mine first with some black pepper, garlic, and fresh oregano.

Bad I know, but I love it that way.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC