Old 11-04-2009, 05:02 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: $5 a Kg for flour?

I remember there being a discussion about the difference between Caputo red and Caputo blue and that the red in the 1 kg. bags is not the same as the red in the 55 bag, or was it that the Red in the 1 kg. is not available in 55#? I don't remember the upshot of the discussion, nor where I read it. So is that 55# blue the same as the 1 kg. red? And do the restaurants in Naples get something we just can't? They certainly aren't opening little 1 kg. bags when they make dough. I've experimented with a variety of doughs including K.A. A.P., their mock Italian 00 and other real Italian 00, plus Caputo red & blue and for my tastes & it's extensibilty, Caputo red in the 1 kg. bag is the winner. It would be nice if that 55# blue bag is the same thing.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
OK now I am really confused. I thought the "00" designation was related to the mill setting (particle size of the finished flour), not whether it was a bread, pizza, torte, pasta, or whatever flour.
Yes 00 is the milling size.

00 flour can be used used to make those things is all that means.

The same way that 20W-50 oil can be used for cars, motorbikes, planes, combine harvesters etc... i.e. - you don't buy it as "Car Oil" or "Bike Oil"

but Castrol might market it as such....
Old 11-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Peasant

My Caputo Red came in yesterday and I am going to try some tonite.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am prepared to take ANY Caputo I can get

Rossco
Old 11-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Journeyman

I just got some red yesterday. I'm interested to see the difference for myself this weekend. We've used a whole grain recipe, the FB recipe using bread flour, and even the Costco frozen stuff. So far, the bread flour wins (although the whole grain was interesting). We have a whole grain with sourdough starter in it that my wife tasted at a cooking demonstration that we also want to try. But this weekend, it's Caputo.

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Peasant

Just so I know what I spent my money on, what qualities am I looking for in the Caputo flour? I made some pizzas last nite and I would describe the Caputo crust as "light and nicely chewy" (the chewiness being in a totally good way). Is that what I am looking for?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Apprentice

I would add that it has great extensibility and a slightly different flavor than most all other flours I've used, such as K.A. all purpose, their Italian mock 00 as well as other Italian 00 flours. The real way to appreciate any difference would be a comparison test.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:02 AM
Serf

Any news on getting the Caputo flour in Australia for a reasonable price?
Would love to try it.
I found a website in Sydney (Waterloo) selling it for $140 for 25kg bag. With delivery will be about $6 a kilo.
Might just have to go for this, there's nothing else out there.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I contacted about 5 Australin suppliers that looked like they may be likely candidates to stock the product - or get it for me. All responded but said "No" - most had never even heard of it. It is incredible that no one (bar one) has seized this as a fantastic opportunity to become a local supplier of this product. If I was a supplier I would be on the next plane over to Italy and meet the supplier and hopefully arrange some sort of local agency. Perhaps however there are some other issues that prevent its easy importation.

The $140 price (plus $6) for delivery is still a lot, but could be worth it. I followed up and learned that it will cost $140 + $30 for delivery to Perth. I thought of possibly seeing if someone else here wants a bag and with an order of 2 bags we would get free shipping which sounds a bit more reasonable than $170. I am busy wading through a 25 kg bag of another brand of pizza flour at the moment so won't need just yet. I would be interested to know if the massive increase in price translates to $121 more value for you.

Rossco

PS - also sent 2 x emails to the Caputo company via their website asking for details on the Australian outlets. I never received a response from them.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

So what is the final verdict on Caputo value for money? Was it worth the $8 /kg you paid for it??

Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
Just so I know what I spent my money on, what qualities am I looking for in the Caputo flour? I made some pizzas last nite and I would describe the Caputo crust as "light and nicely chewy" (the chewiness being in a totally good way). Is that what I am looking for?