Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Get Cooking (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/)
-   -   Yeast Activity (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/yeast-activity-3159.html)

RCLake 01-05-2008 01:30 PM

Yeast Activity

I started my floor today and thought I'd try a pizza, although in an oven. I'm using the FB dough recipe and am using a tipo OO flour by Milino, but not caputo. I'm not sure what the difference is.
After weighing out the water (at 100 degrees) I added the yeast. It was from a jar of Fleischmann's Bread Machine yeast - hightly active. It didn't seem to bubble as I expected. So I tried a bag of dry yeast to another batch of water and at least that bubbled some.
Could the yeast have gone bad or am I expecting to much.
I think I'll have more success at building a WFO than I will at cooking, but I'm going to try

gjbingham 01-05-2008 01:45 PM

Re: Yeast Activity

Yes, yeast goes bad after a time. I don't remember the numbers - something like 6 months or so (??), but the number of viable cells decreases over time.

CanuckJim 01-05-2008 02:17 PM

RC,

Do yourself a favor: toss the yeast you have and buy fresh. Bread machine yeast is not what you want. Use either active dry yeast (ADY) or instant dry yeast (IDY). Buy is in one pound, vacuum sealed bricks (MUCH) cheaper. Once opened, transfer to an airtight container and store in the freezer. It'll be good for a year treated this way.

Jim

RCLake 01-05-2008 02:31 PM

I knew I would get great advise by asking the experts here, now I need to go shopping for a one pound brick of active yeast here in Corsicana. Yah likely. Next trip to Dallas I'll pick it up with my Kaowool insulation. Thanks

asudavew 01-05-2008 03:40 PM

Hit Sam's club.

I usually buy two big bricks there for about 4 bucks.

I leave one in the original package and the second one in a Ziploc.
I store both in the freezer.

My last purchase lasted over a year.

BTW - You can always add just a small pinch of sugar to the water.
That will let you know pretty quick whether your yeast is good or not.

have fun

dave

Acoma 01-05-2008 05:48 PM

Good idea Chef. Sams Club? Never would have thought of that myself? Dr. Jim, how have you been able to get active yeast regenerated for so long? We are talking generational yeast here, right?

Inishta 01-05-2008 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanuckJim (Post 22033)
Buy it in one pound, vacuum sealed bricks (MUCH) cheaper. Once opened, transfer to an airtight container and store in the freezer. It'll be good for a year treated this way.

Jim

Hi CJ.......................does the yeast need to be portioned before putting in the freezer or just go in as is?

:cool:

gjbingham 01-06-2008 06:11 AM

to continue that question, if not portioned prior to freezing, how do you deal with the frozen block when you need to use it?

Thanks!

CanuckJim 01-06-2008 06:42 AM

Guys,

I'm not talking about wild yeast culture here, which I store in the refrigerator and refresh at least once a week. Instead, we're dealing with granular commercial yeast, either ADY or IDY. The bulk packs are in a brick because they're vacuum sealed. Once the brick is opened, you'll see that the yeast is indeed granular and loose. I store it in the freezer, not the fridge. The granules do not adhere to each other, even when frozen, so measuring is easy. I don't measure out portions, therefore, just keep the IDY and ADY in separate airtight Lock N'Lock containers. Really, stored this way, you can expect a shelf life of a year.

Fleishman's yeast is the most common in North America, but you can get bricks of SAF Gold IDY (French) and Red Star from mail order places like King Arthur Flour. The prices are premium, but the performance is premium, too. Even so, we're not talking about a lot of money, either way.

Jim

RCLake 01-06-2008 11:54 AM

I was reading the e-book on pizza making and yeast I was using was the instant yeast and then I switched to the active dry yeast. But the recipe in the ebook calls for 4 times the amount of yeast versus recipe in FB home page. That is 10 gr(2 tsp) versus 3gr(1/2 tsp). I'm going to try the higher amount and see if that works better and then I'll try Dave's trick with the sugar.
How much yeast do you use with 500 gr of flour?