Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Get Cooking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Journeyman

Question Replacement plug on SP5 ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
<snip>I could easily have done a 4x batch!

At roughly 4x the cost of a kitchen aid, I am sure it is not for everyone...but it is going to save me hours and hours.

Drake
(M) Drake, your posted images appear as though you have replaced the plug on your newer SP5. Am I correct, and if yes, why did you do so?

(M) Thanks, and

Ciao,

Marcel
Old 02-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Whats the best Kitchen Aid mixer attachment?

Richard,

I think you'll find that if your oven remains that high overnight, it will come up to white heat very quickly indeed. Again, it depends on the quirks of your oven, but I'd bring the hearth up to pizza heat, then let it cool down. That way you'd have enough stored heat to bake breads nicely. Is your oven a modular FB or brick?

Jim
Old 02-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Marcel, The mixer came with that "reaplaced looking" plug. I suspect that it comes from Italy with no plug and that TMBBaking.com added one for the American market.

Also, on the kitchen aid, my KA mixer is from about 1999? and is holding out ok, only smokes when I make stiff doughs. I just got tired of doing mulitple batches.

Drake
Old 02-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Drake,

You're probably correct. That's not the same plug mine has; it has a European look to it, but it's hard to know. In England, it used to be that all small appliances came without plugs, and you had to find your own.

Richard,

Today is bagel and hearth bread day. The hearth bricks are still too hot (650 F), so I've left the door off for the next twenty minutes to bring it down to about 600 or so, then in go the bagels. They're on sheet pans, waiting in the fridge until I boil them. The pans will bring the brick temp down by themselves, then in go the hearth breads: one dozen, 6 sourdough, 6 sourdough seed breads. After that, I'm off to kaiser land.

Bagels take approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Hearth breads approx. 22 minutes. Kaisers about 15.

Jim
Old 02-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Apprentice

Jim,

I have a modular oven from a forno bravo competitor (mugnaini) their Medio 110 a 43 inch diameter wood buring oven

This forum and web site though is better designed and clearly more informative, with active member postings.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Jim,

I have a modular oven from a forno bravo competitor (mugnaini) their Medio 110 a 43 inch diameter wood buring oven.

This forum and web site though is better designed and clearly more informative, with active member postings.
They make a fine oven, one of the ones that I was considering. Then, one day while in northern California, I decided to pop in on James. We spend a couple of hours talking about ovens and wood fired cooking and I came away having made a decission to by an FB.

Finding this forum is icing on the cake. You couldn't fine a more friendly and helpful group anywherre.

Every time James talks about firing up his oven at Maryu G's I want to catch a plane and get some fresh bread.

J W
Old 02-04-2007, 07:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

JW,

The second annual Mary G's Artisan Breads open house party and bash will be held on the third weekend in May. By then, Ontario should be out of the deep freeze, and you're certainly welcome here. Same for all other members.
You could take the chance to have a look around Toronto.

Jim
Old 02-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Master Builder

On a semi whim we took Jim up on his grand opening last year. Bring bug spray, the mosquitoes will carry off small children. Eat LOTS of garlic. All I can say is YUMMM. Worth the trip. It is relatively easy to get out to the back bush of Prince Albert. Some interesting history there too. If there is a Doctor in the house they may know why this tiny town has some notoriety. As Jim has stated before he is North and East of the city. There are beautiful rolling hills on the way out so try to plan on a day drive. Looks like we will have to get our hotel reservations in soon.

If you are a Hockey fiend then you must visit the Hockey Hall of Fame. This year we plan on hitting the Shoe Museum. We decided last year to not have to contend with parking in a major city so we parked our rental car at a mall on the outskirts of town and took a light rail train in. Very easy. Depending on traffic it can be a bit of a pain getting out of Toronto. We didn’t have trouble getting out of town, it was getting back to catch the plane. We heard there was a major traffic jam getting into town as the rail and bus folks decided to strike! So we stayed north of the city and had a very nice scenic drive. Then when we were North of the airport we took a road south and bingo missed all the traffic. Plan for some traffic as the 3rd weekend in May includes a Canadian Holiday.

As things get closer I will put out some info in the chit chat section. There is lots of stuff on the web too.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey, Patrick,

If you think mosquitoes are big in Ontario (we call them gators), take a trip to the Yukon Territory some day. There, they have four engines, and you can hear one coming a mile off.

Jim