Old 12-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: What are you cooking?

One more thing. This is the first time we haven't been in England for Christmas for quite a few years, so Carrie was hankering after a nice pork pie. You can't get them here, so I gave it a try.

In a nutshell, it's a pastry crust filled with pork shoulder and bacon that is baked, then the pie is filled with a savory jello, and then it's left to cool and set. The pastry is called "boiling water pastry" and it is flour, salt, lard and boiling water and milk.

And it worked! It passed the taste test and it brought back nice memories. I didn't use the WFO, but I'm sure I could have.

For our British members, have you ever made one?

Sorry, no internal photo -- but the jello (jelly) set nicely and you could cut nice slices of the cold pie. The pastry is dense and flavorful.

Here is a link to a professional version.

Proper 'old fashioned' pork pie: Recipes: UKTV Food

James
Attached Thumbnails
What are you cooking?-img_1433.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Peasant

Hey Elizabeth,
Good luck with the standing rib roast. I did my first one a couple weeks ago (not in a wfo yet, maybe soon) using a recipe from Bonappetit - it had a porcini and mushroom stuffing and was served with an Irish Whiskey Gravy and Horseradish cream. Maybe some other folks will have some pointers on adapting it for the wfo. The gravy and cream are nice. My husband was impressed enough to take a photo - It was an upgrade from our standard fare. The website is bonappetit.com/go/menus.

Thanks to the people at the forum for your help and encouragement. Merry Christmas to all!
Attached Thumbnails
What are you cooking?-rib_roast.jpg  
Old 12-25-2008, 04:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Turkey.
With sage and onion stuffing.
8 kilos of it!
My mom's bringing it round ready stuffed in a couple of minutes... nothing like delegating some of the work, is there?

And I'm on the forum to check out the cooking instructions so I can start heating the oven at the right time to get it done for 6 this evening. Its great fun, but also a bit nerve racking.

We had my in-laws over last night to celebrate Swiss Christmas, and my family (parents, brother plus girlsfriend and one adoptive great uncle) are coming over this afternoon.

Have a great day everyone!

Old 12-25-2008, 04:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

She just brought it... 9.5 kilos actually.