Old 11-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Using a wfo as a BBQ

I just checked the aperature of my oven, and the 14" grill won't fit... I'll have to find something else.

Maybe a trivet would do the job.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlf5 View Post
I use a $5 grill from the hardware store propped up with two fire bricks.
I use this method also. Works great and its priced great!
Old 02-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puy de Dome View Post
I just checked the aperature of my oven, and the 14" grill won't fit... I'll have to find something else.

Maybe a trivet would do the job.

Yes, it's always better when it fits through the door!

I think you can recycle a lot of grates that you find around. We used to use the old racks from fridges for grilling over an open fire. (You could cut one to fit your oven) The tuscan types I believe are heavier cast iron though and have benefits of density. I also use a variety of firebrick pieces to support my grill depending on how high I want it. Has worked fairly well...still have not tried the "dirty steak" method yet!

I think one advantage your WFO has over normal BBQ's is that you can slow cook meats and/or smoke them which makes much better BBQ...now how about a sauce recipe?

And I agree on the fish comments...a cedar plank would work but if you want to spin it, I'd get one of those fish shaped wire baskets. The square ones work welll for meats too, like sausages!

XJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 02-07-2009, 02:44 AM
Journeyman

A question, please. Do people cook fish at pizza temps?
I guess a smallish, (say <2lb: [about a kilo for we Great Unwashed]) whole fish could work. Dunno.
Be easy to scale. (Ahem!) I've only ever smoked fish in the WFO. (Last time was dismal -
my bad . Retained a muddy taste.)

Otherwise, I agree with X Jim - the ovens are so versatile, even down to drying vegies.
And don't overlook your local scrap metal dealer. A recent raid yielded heavy duty ss oven racks @ A$3/kg. Covered in festering oil, but I regret not buying the whole lot.
They cleaned up a treat.
Good scrounging,
Luddite Jeff.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
A question, please. Do people cook fish at pizza temps?

Luddite Jeff.
I've done shrimp and calamari in the paella pan over a hot wood fire....pretty much in and out quicklly!

Not sure that pizza temp would be good for cooking fish in WFO....maybe a smaller fish that had been split so it could have an even cooking.

I'd be curious at what temps people are cooking fish by WFO

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!