Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Get Cooking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: trouble getting the pizza to slide off the peel

Neill,
Lets just agree to disagree. I LOVE to cook and make pizzas. I admit, It is my way or the highway when it comes anything. I have many great family members and friends, I have not the desire, patience, or time to fix their butchery. Sounds harsh, but in reality there is at least 1 or 2 goofballs in every gathering (myself included) and I won't let them throw off the evening for the entire group. I didn't ask anyone to assist, just come over and enjoy pizza and beverages, no one has ever been disappointed that they couldn't work their own dough and build their own pie. In fact, most are amazed at the effiency and end result...from a true "backyard operation".

Tom,
I think you have gotten a lot of good advice, time to start chipping away to find the exact cause of your trouble. Just remember, we are all human and destined to screw up from time to time. I recently dumped a HUGE thick crust pizza. I made all of the mistakes - too little flour, too much sauce, way too many toppings, and spent an eternity building it. The front edge stuck coming off the peel and I ended up with a 5 lb mass of goo in the middle of the oven. I was so pissed that I threw the peel in the oven to help burn it away. Not a finer moment, I knew better and STILL acted like an idiot after screwing it up. Thank goodness it was one of those home alone nights...only the dogs were aware.
Keep us posted

RT

Last edited by RTflorida; 11-27-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Another trick is to move the pizza forward and slightly off the peel, about an inch hanging over. When you insert it in the oven, this overhang "grabs" the hot floor and you simply pull the peel from under the pizza. Don't jerk it, just a quick smooth pull with the peel at a bit of an angle say 20 degrees or so from level.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanneill View Post
I also get the guests to build their pizzas on an aluminium tray and when around half cooked and ready for turning, I lift the semi rigid pizza off nd put onto the hearth.

Thats what I do too, the look on their faces is priceless when they make the pizza themselves.
And they have so much fun too..

I actually chucked that nice timber peel I made last week into the fire last night.
I really didnt have enough ingredients for two pizza and the pizza rolled off the timber peel even after a dusting of flour and just "plopped" onto the oven floor in a great mess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 11-27-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Master Builder

I like that blowing under the pizza technique for releasing the pizza from the peel. Just tell people you are blowing a little magic into the pizza, that's why it tastes so good. BTW, Texassourdough is the man.....for dough especially.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you are putting on a show, then learn the peel. If you want to pump out pizzas, use pans. After a minute or so usually at the first turn the pie will fall off the pan.

If you use the peel, a high frequncy low amplitube motion is best for shaking it off.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree with TS. I bought about 20 pizza aluminum pizza pans (yeah, I know, aluminum and acids...) but they are a practical way to let your guests experience making a pie. I refuse to let inexperienced guests (in any significant number) work with the peel (too many holey, glued pies with sauce all over the peel and folded pizza calzones and sauce all over the hearth). They can slow things down WAY too much. Pans are a good, cheap approach if you want to let them make pies.

I also STRONGLY encourage you to consider making your dough dry enough to be easily manageable. 70 % hydration dough is wonderful but...your guests are likely to be wearing it!

And please try not to gag at some of the combos your guests will come up with! )

Jay
Old 11-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Exactly. They are cheap (3-4 bucks), so I bought 8 each 10", and 3 each of 12" and 14". 3 is all I need to pump them out, but I bought the eight 10" for parties when they make their own.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Master Builder

One of my great joys with the oven and pizza making has been teaching kids how to make their own pizza. I start with already proofed dough balls ready to spread out. Allow them to feel and play with the dough ball. I show them all how to spread it out and get it ready. They all love playing with the dough and I always have fun throwing flour at them. They aren't the prettiest, but they have fun. I quickly put the dough on the peel, top it and I am the only one to do the oven thing. Would never let an untrained person into the oven, particularly children. The pies are never perfect but the kids love their own pizza even more. A great life lesson for children. Now the kids all want to make their own pizza when they come over. Yes, some of their combinations are the funniest.
Attached Thumbnails
trouble getting the pizza to slide off the peel-33763_162292897122044_160738907277443_476459_110915_n.jpg   trouble getting the pizza to slide off the peel-37914_162293083788692_160738907277443_476466_1836291_n.jpg   trouble getting the pizza to slide off the peel-67722_162292907122043_160738907277443_476462_3996147_n.jpg  
Old 12-03-2010, 01:28 AM
Laborer

You could simply throw a dusting of what you may call "corn meal" on the peel, or even "semolina", bakers do this , and it's what we did when i was cooking.The base just slides off!...... same go's for bread.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Apprentice

Cool Re: trouble getting the pizza to slide off the peel

Tried corn meal... bad idea it burns on the cooking surface. Flour works just fine for me