Old 07-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Tri-Tip: How'd you do it in the WFO??

Man, I'm really conflicted now. Kidding, kinda of. I'm doing the 3 tri-tips this afternoon for my big pool party. I used Brian shows dry-rub mix but added some red or pepper notes/dry spice into it. I'm going to use my meat thermometer to pull out the center med-rare. I'm hoping the dry-rub for 36 hours in the fridge will somehow tenderize it too.

Matt: so much has come out lately about slow/low temps breaking down connective tissue in pork, lamb etc...it does seem like tri-tip would be a no-brainer too.

Gonna try to take good pics my tri-tips in the wofo today to post.

Good by on the tri-tips George! Let us know how the slower cook method works.

thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:01 AM
Journeyman

Dino... good addition. I've done the same using Chimayo pepper (even though it's not "authentic") but my kids sometimes balk if they can detect the heat. I like it that way. I don't know if the long marinade time will tenderize or not. Best way to tender tri-tip, which I'll bet you know already, is thin slicing (1/16 inch, or about 2mm for anyone else) with an uber-sharp knife.

I understand the theory of low-and-slow for a tougher meat but have never tried taking tri-tip to shredding temps. That would be 190 or so... which works for pork when doing moisture re-plenishment via sauce but I don't serve sauce with tri-tip. I guess it wouldn't be a crime to do so, though.

BTW, here's a trick for heat/flavor that is my "personal secret": that Korean red soy/miso/chile paste. I've rubbed that on tri-tip and pork prior to roasting on the grill. It's a secret -- for just you and me to know.

Have a great time; can't wait to see the pictures!

Last edited by BrianShaw; 07-31-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: defined "thin"
Old 07-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post

I understand the theory of low-and-slow for a tougher meat but have never tried taking tri-tip to shredding temps. That would be 190 or so... which works for pork when doing moisture re-plenishment via sauce but I don't serve sauce with tri-tip. I guess it wouldn't be a crime to do so, though.
I still intend to pull the tri-tip out at 135. I realize it's technically not low and slow but will be thrown in the oven under smoking temps along with the ribs.
I don't want to fire up my grill today so this tri-tip will be mostly an experiment for me.

George

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 08-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Master Builder

Default Tri-tip FAIL, awesome ribs!

Tri-tip fail....well, not quite. Due to the low oven temp resulting in no crust I ended up having to reverse pan sear it but bringing it up to temp at the lower smoking temp produced one of the tenderest tri-tips I've done so far. This was mostly an experiment so the only prep I did were to poke it all over and marinate it in whatever I had on hand at the time which was some old teriyaki mainade.

The ribs, on the other hand were the bomb! The chicken wings were decent, done under smoking temps, but they took a bit too long.

Wife said I did good.

George
Attached Thumbnails
Tri-Tip: How'd you do it in the WFO??-p1040856.jpg   Tri-Tip: How'd you do it in the WFO??-p1040867.jpg  

Old 08-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Laborer

George: I think it might work better to sear it first if you want the crust (and i definitely dont blame you if you do). Unfortunately, i dont have a door yet so this isall just cooking theory, but once i do, i wont rest until i perfect this tri-tip method.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt916 View Post
George: I think it might work better to sear it first if you want the crust (and i definitely dont blame you if you do). Unfortunately, i dont have a door yet so this isall just cooking theory, but once i do, i wont rest until i perfect this tri-tip method.
Thanks Matt. Well that's exactly what I did 2 weekends ago, I did a dirty tri-tip by first laying it directly on the coals for a good sear all around, then moved it off to the side until it reached internal temperature.
But I liked the idea of using low temps to reach 135, but that required a separate source of heat for the quick sear, either before or after.

George

Old 08-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your slow smoked tri-tips sound great (ya, the color is anemic but after-char was a good save). When I think of Santa Maria Tri-tip, it's also slow and smoked but I think it has lots of BBQ sauce. Either way, I may try it your way and do a before sear.

MY 3 tri-tips for my summer party came out great. I used a dry rub and let them sit in the fridge 1.5 days. Brought to room temp, then into the WFO after the pizzas came out. I used a remote digital thermometer and pulled it out about 25 min later when it was 130 deg at the thicker parts. I cooked it on a grate over water in the wofo with the door on. It was extremely tender, just about as perfect as it can get. Even the thinner ends that were 'medium' stayed tender. I cut them 1/4" thick on a diagonal so even thinner cuts would have been better but not needed. I've got my faith restored in Tri-Tips (after having some tough ones in the past). I was to busy cooking to take pics .

Matt: OK, the race is on...My 'temp' door is hideous and is curling at the top as I watched my smoke escape trying to do Costco spare ribs yesterday in my dwindling wfo heat. I need a good door and will make it my next 'project'.

This tri-tip thread has been fun. Thanks guys, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Laborer

haha, alright Dino! although if i was a betting man, i would put my money on you to finish first. during the majority of my build last winter, I actually drew some of my WFO design from your pics. BUT, i've really been craving tri tip lately...so I may have to work on that in the next couple of days.

i'm hungry now
Old 08-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Master Builder

This thread was timely. They're having a debate over at this BBQ forum on whether to smoke or grill tri-tips.

George