Old 11-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: ***Thanksgiving Turkey***

We just did our first turkey today. A trial bird as I was not sure how it would turn out. It was not large, about 12 lbs, and fully stuffed. I got the oven a little too hot and had to let it cool a bit first. The bird sat in a roasting pan that I covered with tin foil. I also used a digital meat thermometer, putting the probe into the breast.
Initially, the oven was a little hot but I left the door open to let it cool a bit, then closed it but turned the pan a couple of times while it was cooking. After about 2 hours, I took the tin foil off to let the bird brown as it finished cooking. The bird browned nicely and the digital thermometer beeped that it reached the 85 degrees C that I had set it for, about 2 3/4 hrs after I put the bird it. It was perfect.
I cooked a roast last weekend using the digital meat thermometer as well. It was one of the best roasts we have ever made. The themometer I use has a probe with a wire on it. The probe goes into the meat and the wire is led out through the door to the temperature unit. With this unit, I can check the temperature of the meat and its cooking process at any time without opening the oven.
Attached Thumbnails
***Thanksgiving Turkey***-first-turkey.jpg  
Old 11-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

good lookig bird spunk.... Nice job..

I also have one of the remote thermometers, Havent used it in the brick oven yet,, I think I will though when I do the next turkey,,

Cheers
Mark
Old 11-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Apprentice

I'm doing a trial run today.. thought I'd post some pics of what I'm cooking.

While cooking the turkey I also made a batch of cornbread muffins and a Macaroni & Cheese Casserole.

When the turkey is all done I'll post a finished pick along with times & temps.
Attached Thumbnails
***Thanksgiving Turkey***-12134_1282591625735_1258429738_830134_4027039_n.jpg   ***Thanksgiving Turkey***-12134_1282634106797_1258429738_830195_8325952_n.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Apprentice

Turkey finished earlier then I expected! So, on to details. The turkey was a 12.5 lb turkey. I went the Alton Brown route and let it sit in a brine overnight. I then re-heated the oven this morning and got it up around 800 with some coals in it. I left the coals simmering until it got down to a little over 500 and then I shoveled them all out and put the turkey in.

After 45 minutes I put the Turkey Triangle on and the temp was at 400. Now that the turkey is done I think next time I'll wait an hour before doing the triangle as it didn't get as brown as I'd like on the breast. The legs turned out perfect so that should work.

After a total of 2 hours and 20 minutes I checked on the turkey, this was my first check, and it was done! Breast temp was 180 and Thigh temp was 198. This is a little hotter than I'd normally go so next time I'll be sure to check it after 2 hours. This was a trial run though so that's ok.

One thing I have to be aware of next time is it was really nice out today. Opening that oven door when it's 50+ outside isn't the same as 10+ degrees which it will probably be at Thanksgiving.
Attached Thumbnails
***Thanksgiving Turkey***-12134_1282672147748_1258429738_830323_6551508_n.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Journeyman

ok yum. I decided I'm too lazy for a practice run, but since you guys are doing all the r&d I think I'll be ok
I wonder how it would work to put it in when the oven is wicked hot? That's sort of what I'm leaning towards at this point, because like you said, Shay, the outdoor temp is likely to be a factor.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Apprentice

I saw a post somewhere of someone cooking one at pizza temp.. I'll probably try that sometime but I wanted to try the standard route first.

As for outdoor temp, I think it might just take a bit longer depending on how often I open the door. I had to open it a few times to put food in and pull food out but I'll probably do that too on Thanksgiving.

Ah well..

Old 11-11-2009, 03:38 PM

Cooking meat bigger than a chop or a smaller chicken piece at pizza temps is not for the faint of heart. I did a roaster chicken cut up the other night, and some of the big breast chunks were a bit more than pink in the center. The turkey method outlined elsewhere was to buttefly the bird, cutting out the spine, and flattening it, and cooking it over a tray of stuffing. You'll absolutely need to cover it with foil at some point to avoid the black/raw effect. It has the advantage of tucking in the breast, with it's tendency to overcook, and spreading the dark meat toward the sides where they are more exposed to direct heat.

I haven't tried this method. I cook one turkey every two years. Back when the supermarkets gave them out for free this time of year, I made one every year, and the packets of the off-year turkey would lurk in the freezer for months. It's not my favorite thing to eat.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have done turkey the past 2 yrs, both came out perfectly BUT, 2 times too many for me. I can do without the turkey itself.....the 'fixins' are another story.

The first one was only and 11.5 - 12 lb bird. Went in at over 500, covered with foil after 1/2 hr and was done WAY early - about 1 hr 45 minutes. We really had to scramble to get the rest of the meal on.
Last year was a big one, 22+ lbs. I went lower and slower I think about 4 hrs and started it around 425 or 450. Ended up just a bit over cooked, but by no means dried out. Although WFO turkey is better than in the indoor oven (yes, I toss in a few coals and wood chip for a very mild smokiness), it is still turkey...which like chicken, is almost tasteless to me. I'm not a fan of meat that has to be doctored or smothered in sauce, marinade, brine, gravy. Probably just my taste buds....nearly everyone thinks I'm crazy for not eating much of either of them.

RT
Old 11-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Apprentice

It's too bad because turkey is sooooo good for you.. I personally love it.. I do brine it but I have no problem with doing that, just part of the cooking processes.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I put the Turkey Triangle on and the temp was at 400.
Okay,,, can someone tell me what a turkey triangle is ???

Thanks
Mark