Old 11-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: ***Thanksgiving Turkey***

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatgirl View Post
Best. Thread. Ever. I think we have created the ultimate WFO turkey cookery resource on the web!

I did a 15 pounder, organic, pasture raised, local.
On a side note, this is the third year I've done pastured and organic, and I'm amazed (again) at how different the pastured turkeys are... SO different, anatomically and so much tastier, than the industrially raised ones. It's almost like a totally different animal. For a same-sized carcass, I'd bet there's 50% more meat on the pasture raised turkeys. Plus they have life-sized thighs and wings rather than chicken sized ones, and those, IMO, are the tastiest bits so that suits me just fine. There's nothing like a huge meaty leftover turkey wing to make my lunchtime happy, and since most folks are used to the scrawny, gristly wings of a supermarket bird, they don't know that I'm being selfish when I carve them off and squirrel them away for myself
Our oven is in the build process, so I don't know what it is like to cook with an WFO. We raised our own turkeys for the first time this year and I have to tell ya, we cooked the hen that dressed out at 24 LB. and it was the best turkey we have ever had.
Can't wait to get the oven done.

Tom
Old 12-04-2009, 04:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Can't wait to get the oven done.
Hey Tom, How far away are you from being done >> Christmas Turkey maybe ???

Cheers
Mark
Old 12-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
Hey Tom, How far away are you from being done >> Christmas Turkey maybe ???

Cheers
Mark
Mark, I just finished the base and will start with the brick laying next week.
I have to get the saw and brick hopefully on Monday, then I can start.
Looks like we have wet and cold weather (cold for here) starting Sunday, so I need to set up a tent to work under. I'm not sure if I can get it done by Christmas, but I hope so. Depends on how quickly I learn to lay brick.
A friend made the indispensable tool for me and he wants to help. Not sure how much he can help, but it's nice of him to offer.

Tom
Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Journeyman

A helper, yes! If you use a nice stiff mortar, having one person to cut bricks while the other person lays them is perfect, particularly for the initial courses that have more bricks to them.
Take advantage of the downtime between courses (waiting for mortar to dry) to figure out and get your next course cut. I was able to set more than one course at a time lower down, but once the bricks got a steeper angle on them I pretty much had to wait until the previous course's mortar cured until I could proceed.
Sounds like you're all set...homegrown turkey! I am insane with jealousy.
I'll say again, WFO=best project ever. Worth the effort regardless of how long it takes to build!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

hey tom,,
a helper is good as long as he does it your way... or really knows a better way,,, I laid the first few courses in a day, then came home and laid one ring every night after work,, It was fine as I had to wait for th emortar to dry (like splat said) Besides, sometimes 2 heads are better than 1...

cheers mark
Old 12-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Mark,
I usually do things myself, but he wants to help and he made the tool for me. He lives an hour away, so it isn't like he will be here much. But, he might be helpful with the transition to the arch.

Tom
Old 12-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Journeyman

After the hearth slab was poured, I did the entire oven without help (until putting the hardibacker up -- that was just too hard without help). I believe it would have gone faster if someone had been there to hand stuff to me, or to cut bricks in half, or to tell me to stop before I did something stupid. Most likely, he wants to learn so he can build one of his own. I was very grateful for the help with the concrete and digging the foundation. I suspect you will be similarly grateful for whatever help he gives you as well.

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Apprentice

Thanks Joe,
I hope I don't sound grateful. His making the indispensable tool is a great help and when I get comfortable with the process I can show him what I need. Oh, and the hearth stand is a bit high. I see a good workout climbing up and down. Having someone hand things to me will be a big help.

Tom
Old 01-18-2010, 03:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

***Yesterdays Dinner***
Hello All,

Here's some pics of what I cooked for sunday dinner, Had some family over for a belated christmas,...

The turkey was 21 lbs, (9.752 Kilo) went into a 600 degree F oven (315 c) for an hour and 40 minutes... In the cooking tray I put half a bottle white wine and a bottle of beer.. Came out cooked to perfection... Tasty juicy... I dont know if you cand tell from the pics, I learned a new way to carve the turkey.. Legs and wings come off as usual, then the breasts are filleted off whole, then sliced across the breast into nice pieces....
Enjoy
Mark

Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:14 AM
Apprentice

Hi Mark,
Looks great, wouldn't mind having some of that for breakfast.
I learned that technic this year and will carve my turkeys that way from now on. Maybe it was the turkey, but the breast meat was more moist and tender.

Tom